Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My locking hubs on my 1988 samurai (which is a trailer to the mud hole vehicle) are not locking properly. I want to avoid spending money on new locking hubs so is there a way to by pass the locking hubs and manually lock them (i guess manually manually lock them haha)

I am out of ideas.

Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
Some Samis came with full time 4 wheel hubs.
It is very simply a flange that keeps the axles locked as soon as you engage 4X4 on the transfer case.
Some of the breakers will surely have a set. Some of the club members who've been around a while will likely have a set in their possibles. I carry one as a part I have never had to use insuring against the failure of locking hubs. (see it works...carry the spare and never use it...leave it home and need it for sure)
They are dead simple to install and seem to be bullet proof.
Since you trail your rig it will be no problem to leave the transfer case in faux neutral...but I would remove the driveshafts from the driven member and tie them up under the rig with mechanics wire (aka coat hangers) This will almost guarantee the diffs will not be connected during trailering. Save your tranny, T/C and engine from catastrophic failure, do not rely on the neutral position.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
1. Pull them apart.
2. Clean the parts.
3. Reassemble the parts with a bit of clean grease.
4. Turn the lock.
5. Done deal.

Most of the time, the parts are just gunked up and that's what makes it stick.
If you find a broken or missing spring, you can get parts from the online vendors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts