Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Hard top 1984 sierra and i am looking at angle grinding the top section off completely to look more similar to the soft top without the cover on.
Does anyone know if removing the body work from the hard top will affect any structural integrity of the vehicle?
It regularly ventures into serious off road work, it has been lifted.
Once the top is removed i will be bolting and welding in roll protection etc.
With the top section missing would that at all cause the chassis to warp or twist?

Would this affect getting the vehicle road registered on Australian roads?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the edges of the bed where you are cutting the top off will not be rolled over and tucked the way a soft top is. You will have floppy top fenders if you don't bend or weld a lip around the edges of the bed. The soft top has an internal roll bar that supports the targa section behind the front door area. You should make sure your roll cage braces that area of the tin top or the whole roof and windshield will be supported by two small brackets at the base of your front winsheild.

I don't know what the laws are in Oz regarding streetability. Someone else will need to field that one.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i live in austraila, and i heard of a fulla that did something similar... he made a ute from a hard top. not sure exactly what he did since i havent seen it, but apparently he just cut away all the unwanted body work, then welded a sheet of metal across the back to seal the cabin, plus whatever he did to add a tray... he took it to department of transport, they said it was fine, and let him register it.

so my guess would be it should be ok as long as theres no sharp edges. so like baratacus said, bend or weld a lip around. a roll cage wouldnt hurt either...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts