Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about my 8 valve engine. I noticed that the fan pulley actually hits the timing belt cover and has burned a groove into it. I can't see that anything is out of place or loose. The engine belts line up, so I don't think the pulley is out of place. The burned groove does not go all the way through.

Has anyone seen this before?

·
Administrator
16,306 Posts
There is a foam "gasket" in the back edge of the timing cover, it swells when it gets oil on it, and that pushes the cover forward.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Looks like I will have to replace that gasket. There was some leakage from the valve cover. Probably got into that gasket. Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,306 Posts
I don't think the gasket is available separately - either leave it out (it's more of a dust seal than a gasket, or you may need to replace the cover (Dorman should have them)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I saw this on the spare engine I picked up. Upon pulling the cover I noticed that the tensioner bolt had come loose, allowing the tensioner pulley to be rocked outward, burning into the cover. A very bad tensioner pulley could do the same. I'd pull the cover and check it out if you haven't already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts