Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried out the 4wd goodness on my newly aquired Jimny today, and it turns out it doesn't have any.

I thought that the 4WD light was supposed to flash when in 4WD modes like the L200 I used to drive, but it turns out that means it isn't working! The front wheels don't engage at all so at the moment I have a rather tall rear-wheel drive car :(

Going to go and beg the local garage to look at it for me tomorrow. Hoping it won't be expensive as I don't want the hassle of arguing with a dealer 500 miles away.

Bah humbug!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
what year is it? does it have autolocking hubs or manual locking hubs in the front?

If it's got vacuum locking hubs, there's a good chance they aren't engaging because of a cracked or broken vacuum hose, or a faulty vacuum pump. If the hubs are engaged and you have no 4wd, then it's probably a good idea to take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, its a 1999. I presume it has autolocking hubs as the beast is completely standard.

I don't think the hubs are locking because you can't hear them doing anything. I've got it booked in to be looked at by my local garage tomorrow morning, so here's hoping that its nothing too major. Problem is getting anything delivered in Scotland at the moment is nigh on impossible, so if it needs parts it'll take bloody ages :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed! :D

It was indeed a burst vacuum pipe, apparently up near the manifold. £30 later and my Jimny now pulls from the front.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was the Jimny a private purchase, mate?

Also, where did you get it fixed?
It was from a dealer. I could have given him some hassle except that I can't say that the 4wd didn't work when he gave me it (the pipe may have ruptured when I got home) and to take the car back to him would cost me about £150 in travelling costs. Now that 4wd works I am very happy with the car. Just one of those things I guess.

It was fixed by Alan Motors in Carronshore, Falkirk.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It was from a dealer. I could have given him some hassle except that I can't say that the 4wd didn't work when he gave me it (the pipe may have ruptured when I got home) and to take the car back to him would cost me about £150 in travelling costs. Now that 4wd works I am very happy with the car. Just one of those things I guess.

It was fixed by Alan Motors in Carronshore, Falkirk.
Aye. Means you'll check the functions the next time lol. Lesson learned.

Good that you got it fixed cheaply enough. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts