Suzuki Forums banner

Problems w/ the Ignition/starting

54K views 51 replies 18 participants last post by  Celerio2019 
#1 ·
I just got a new 2011 sx4 crossover 2 weeks ago. I'm starting having problems with starting the car. At first it was ok, but know it's getting worse. Has anyone had this problem?
I would appreciate your guys input.:(

#4 ·
A stupid question, but are you making sure you DONT touch the gas pedal when starting the car??? Most computer controlled, fuel injected cars dont like this!
Also, as has been suggested in other posts, try waiting a few seconds with the key in the "on" position before cranking, to allow the fuel pump to get up to speed.;)

#5 ·
Not my Suzuki, but my nissan I used to have, had trouble starting. I always had to do what Tom said. My brother had the same car and took it in to have it looked at a few times and they replaced a few things but it still didnt change.

#7 ·
Well, after allowing time after I insert the key (until the chime is off) and then turn the car on, I haven't had any problems.
I am not sure what to say. Some say to allow time, others like Jeff L. that it is not necessary.
Some other mentioned a 're-flashing".
In any case,... I do have an appointment w/ the dealer this coming Monday. We'll see what they have to say.

#8 ·
I don't have an answer but with my 2010 when it started getting really hot here like 90 + degrees there were a couple of starts (soon after turning off) that it took a long time to start. The problem seem to cleared up in a day or 3. Maybe it was some crappy gas causing a vapor lock. Lets us know what the dealer says.

#9 ·
I'm having the same issue. I just bought my 2011 Sportback 3 days ago and on day 2 it wouldn't crank right away. It took a couple of tries for it to turn over. It did this twice, but hasn't done it since. I just spoke to the suzuki service department and they said they would have to duplicate the issue to figure it out. It's started fine 8 out of the 10 times i've started it. I just don't know if it's going to do it for them. We shall see.

#10 ·
When I first bought my SX4, there was a loose connector under the battery that was preventing the battery from charging. My dealer fixed that.

When doing my under-the-hood maintenance one day, I bumped the positive terminal on the battery and it moved. The clamping bolt was tight but the clamp was not. I actually did some modification to the clamp to allow it to tighten down more and hold firmly to the positive terminal. That problem had not YET caused poor starting, but it could have. (so check your own battery terminals) I strongly suggest the use of Anti-Corrosion felt washers under the battery terminal clamps.

On my 2006 Suzuki Forenza, I had quite a few miles on the car when it began having starting problems, including backfiring during starting. A reflash by the dealer solved that problem. That may be the resolution of the starting problems on the 2011 SX4 also.

Good Luck,
:cool:

#12 ·
Please..... would you be more specific as to "having problems with starting".
What happens when you put in the key and turn it to the START position?

Does the engine turn over immediately but not fire? Or does it not turn over at all? Are you capable of doing any troubleshooting yourself?

I once told a buy to do this and then do that, which seemed to me perfectly simple, then I found out he was severely disabled. So I'm asking....what are you able to do?
Can you check your battery voltage with a cheap volt meter? Can you take your battery terminals off and clean them? Those are the first two things I'd do if I were troubleshooting your problem.

For less than $5, you can go to a tool store or auto supply store and get a cheap meter and a battery terminal cleaner.

#13 · (Edited)
I really haven't had the time to go to the dealer. I've been swamped with work and other stuff.

However, following what "theforsa" and "TominMich" suggested, I am okay now.:)
Basically, I insert the key and turn it clockwise twice then without pressing the clutch (mine is manual) I wait until the chime goes quiet and turn the ignition on (turn the engine on) and it turns on just fine.

I am not sure if this is the way it is suppose to be on this car, or it needs what others mentioned a "reflashing" to get it started right away while pushing the clutch and not waiting for the chime to stop.

In any case, I am in no hurry and until I have the time to head to the dealer, I am just going to start the engine this way. It works okay and I feel I am treating the system with TLC;)

#14 ·
Shadow, what mine is doing is it's turning, turning, turning and then finally completely starting after a couple of tries. I've checked the battery, cables, etc. as has the dealer. They said it could be a bad "switch" and that they ordered another one. It's just done it 4 times since I bought it brand new, but to me that's 4 times too many.

I'm glad yours has been working with that turning the key suggestion. I'm still doing it as well.

#16 ·
Same thing here - purchase 2011 SX4 Xover in August. The dealership advised that this is a known issue with the SX4. Performed ECM Reflash which did not erradicate the problem. The dealer has had the vehicle 3x now for a total of 26 days. Suzuki had me fill out "Extended Cranking Questionairre" and dealership could not duplicate or fix. Finally, the service manager advised that there are vehicles that do not get fixed w/reflash and there is no known fix - "the engineers are working on the issue". Got started with arbitration today and will have to utilize lemon law if not taken care of. Will never buy another Suzuki again. The customer service has been a nightmare. When I advised that I was simply not comfortable owning a vehicle that at times will not start as my wife drives the vehicle with 2 young children under the age of 3 I was told this is not a problem bc the warranty covers towing. Seriously???:mad:

#17 ·
Related to my above post, the keyless start section in the Service Manual has the following note
"NOTE
When ignition knob switch is at ACC or ON position (engine not running) and any door has been kept open for a certain time, it may happen that engine fails to start. In such a case, turn ignition knob switch to OFF position once and then try to start engine again."

This usually happens when you're trying to get on the road and the "Goodbye" drags on :)

#20 ·
I'll share my story about my 2011 SX4 giving me the same problem! I purchased it july of 2011 and around August it started with the starting issue. At first I didnt give it much thought but after 3 more time of it doing the same thing, I figured something was wrong. I took it in and they gave me a rental and said they fixed it. Not to much longer after that It did it again! I took it back and again I got another rental. The third time I was mad!!! I took it back and said I no longer want this car. After a log run around I finally said ok ill go through arbitration! The whole attitude changed and no more questions were asked. I walked out with a 2012 SX4 Sportback with two free navigations, two free tanks of gas, $100 towards service or accessories and a wash and detail. Stick to your guns and make them fix it!!!

#23 ·
Ha Ha, that wouldn't work at my Suzuki Service Center.....they don't sell Suzuki's. :lol::lol::lol:
They used to, but now they only sell Subaru's.

There is NO Suzuki dealer within 90 miles of me, now, so as much as I really hate to say it, my next car probably will NOT be a Suzuki.

We have a local Chevy dealer that's been there, like, forever and they also are the local Kia dealer. I'm sure I can find something there that I'd like.
I bought my Chevy (Suzuki) Sprint Turbo from them, used, in 1990.

I want to do business with a dealer of good repute, that I'm pretty sure will be there when I need them.

This is an OLD thread, but I must repeat, I have NO starting problems. I never have had. But I'm totally sympathetic for those who do.

Cheers Mates!

#25 ·
Actually, I did have one starting problem, complete with backfiring.
But it was not on my SX4,,,,, it was on my 2006 Forenza. A re-flash took care of that problem.
That was so long ago now, about five years, that I'd almost forgotten about it.

So it's obviously not a problem exclusive to the SX4. Eh?

#28 ·
Actually both, but in this case the Suzuki. If there is some type of optional after market theft system that isn't required and that can shut down the vehicle, remove or deactivate it. A defective computer or its motherboard can easily disable either your home computer or your vehicle. Both are becoming more and more alike every day.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.