Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Maybe they found out your profession of being a Hitman.

Just kidding. Good job Rick. I bet your were shocked though, right?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Ha Ha, that wouldn't work at my Suzuki Service Center.....they don't sell Suzuki's. :lol::lol::lol:
They used to, but now they only sell Subaru's.

There is NO Suzuki dealer within 90 miles of me, now, so as much as I really hate to say it, my next car probably will NOT be a Suzuki.

We have a local Chevy dealer that's been there, like, forever and they also are the local Kia dealer. I'm sure I can find something there that I'd like.
I bought my Chevy (Suzuki) Sprint Turbo from them, used, in 1990.

I want to do business with a dealer of good repute, that I'm pretty sure will be there when I need them.

This is an OLD thread, but I must repeat, I have NO starting problems. I never have had. But I'm totally sympathetic for those who do.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Actually, I did have one starting problem, complete with backfiring.
But it was not on my SX4,,,,, it was on my 2006 Forenza. A re-flash took care of that problem.
That was so long ago now, about five years, that I'd almost forgotten about it.

So it's obviously not a problem exclusive to the SX4. Eh?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dumb idea but...

Have you tried replacing the computer and removing any security systems that are optional? A cracked motherboard could cause this and a reflash won't work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
What security systems?
Are you talking about a home computer or a Suzuki?

Actually both, but in this case the Suzuki. If there is some type of optional after market theft system that isn't required and that can shut down the vehicle, remove or deactivate it. A defective computer or its motherboard can easily disable either your home computer or your vehicle. Both are becoming more and more alike every day.;)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Yeah, I know, I'm a professional Computer Tech.
At least my car can't go on-line and wind up being infected by some @*$# malware.
But where the biggest difference is, would be in the cost to replace. EEC's are already several times more expensive than a home computer.

Microsoft is in bed with at least one auto maker, to provide software for their new cars. (or so I've heard)

I don't know if you've seen Windows 8 yet, but it will work with a Touchscreen and would be just the thing for a car. I'm not advocating it, but I do believe it's coming. Checking your email in your car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2009 SX4 x-over 5 speed manual developed the starting problem over a month ago. There's one month left on the warranty and I'm getting the runaround. The problem is intermittent- turn the key to ON, nothing, no click, just a really faint "hissing" sound. Called roadside assistance, battery replaced, but problem resurfaced. Sometimes it starts fine, but when it fails, I have to hold the key in the ON position for at least 20 seconds before it starts. Dealer says he can't duplicate the problem but he "made a note of it." Wondering should I just try to trade it in on another vehicle (NOT SUZUKI!) and pray the problem doesn't happen when they test it as a trade-in? Is arbitration worth it? How does arbitration work? :mad:

·
Registered
387 Posts
My 2009 SX4 x-over 5 speed manual developed the starting problem over a month ago. There's one month left on the warranty and I'm getting the runaround. The problem is intermittent- turn the key to ON, nothing, no click, just a really faint "hissing" sound. Called roadside assistance, battery replaced, but problem resurfaced. Sometimes it starts fine, but when it fails, I have to hold the key in the ON position for at least 20 seconds before it starts.
You haven't got "the starting problem" described by others where the engine turns over like normal but doesn't start. Your problem sounds more like an intermittent poor contact in the ignition switch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also having problems starting

I have a 2007 SX4, and I've noticed increasingly, the longer I own it, more ignition problems. I replaced the batteries in the remote,very recently, which helped for awhile, but now I'm back to the Red alert on my dash, no key, beeps , and difficult starting . I usually hold the remote close to the key slot to get the engine to start. Also harder "door open requests," they take longer.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I guess I could report the opposite of a starting problem....well, sort of.

After three years of bumping around "Off Road" my battery finally developed a shorted cell. That can happen even to the biggest and best batteries. The static voltage on the battery was down to 10.4 volts, BUT, it still started the car, all-be-it a bit slowly.

When I first got my car (new) it was not charging the battery. During the troubleshooting process, the mechanics put in a NEW battery. When they found the loose connection that was causing the problem they just left the new battery in place. I've always thought that they put in a bigger battery than was called for by Suzuki.
Not So....Here's that battery:

It's a monster, suitable for starting a Diesel Truck, with 1000 amps cranking power!

But it's exactly the battery that Interstate recommends for the 2009 SX4.
So I've got the replacement from Interstate for a pro-rated amount and I'll be putting it in my SX4 sometime soon.

Right now, I've got a battery in my car with Half the rating of the Interstate, but it's starting my car just fine.

So that's my own little starting story.

Cheers Mates!
Shadow :cool:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Interstate batteries are awesome batteries. I use them as well over anything else.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Of course, I don't remember every battery I've ever had, but I just don't remember ever having a battery with 1000 cranking amps and 800 CCA.

And to have such a battery as standard on such a little car is just wild beyond description. :eek:

A friend said that it might be due to all the Electronics on these cars. Maybe!

But for three years, I've been real happy with the battery.
I live OFF ROAD, so for one cell to finally break down and short out, I just consider "Fair Wear & Tear". A lesser battery may have given up the ghost much sooner.

On the other forum (SX4Club) there was a thread about battery failure. Some guys were seeing their OEM batteries failing in far less time than three years.
I only saw my OEM battery once, three years ago, so I don't remember what it was. Anyone have any input on that?

One thing I really liked about this Interstate Battery, is that it's a FULL Maintenance Battery. I can pop the tops and check the fluid level at regular intervals and make sure it never runs dry. On a Maintenance Free battery, you can't do that and if the cells get low on fluid, which they will do in hot climates, all you can do is replace the battery. That can get darned expensive, during the life of a car.

And in that same forum, I was surprised at how much ignorance and argument there was about what battery is right for the SX4. Cheeech!
It's as pointless as arguing about what day comes after Monday. Eh?

All they had to do was go to any battery manufacturers web site, like Interstate and put in the year, make and model of their car and see what's recommended. I did!

Y'all have a great Memorial Day now, Y'hear?

The Shadow :cool:

·
Registered
566 Posts
starting

Bendrick;330438. I usually hold the remote close to the key slot to get the engine to start. [/QUOTE said:
This is strange?? I'm sure the key is "chipped" so having the remote close by should not affect starting? do you have a factory alarm system? :confused:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I just can't imagine anyone, too lazy to just put the key in the ignition to start their car. Too much electronics causes too many problems.

Just one EM pulse and most of our cars will be nothing but useless hunks of metal and plastic anyway.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Of course, I don't remember every battery I've ever had, but I just don't remember ever having a battery with 1000 cranking amps and 800 CCA.

And to have such a battery as standard on such a little car is just wild beyond description. :eek:

A friend said that it might be due to all the Electronics on these cars. Maybe!
The Australian/NZ models come standard with smaller batteries around 360 CCA. Maybe US cars have to deal with colder winters and shorter trips on average.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The battery I have in my SX4 right now, temporarily, is only 450cca and more than capable of starting my car. It's only about 3/4 of the size of the Interstate I'll be putting in shortly.

Trips? I don't see how those would vary that much between the US and Au. :confused:

But it does seem that there are many differences between our cars and yours.

I've never quite understood that.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts