Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was driving my Samurai very gently on the streets (no off-roading), and just as I was driving I heard a click in the transfer case, and all the sudden power stopped being transferred to the rear wheels. The shaft between the gear box and the TC is turning, but the TC is not transferring anything to the wheels. I tried to move the TC stick, but it seemed to be jammed. I have recently upgraded the TC to Tough Gear 6.5:1 gears, and I used it while off-roading a couple of weeks ago without any problems, but suddenly this happens while driving on a street. What could be the problem? I took the car to a workshop to inspect the TC, but I'm very disappointed, I certainly don't want to go back to stock TC, after experiencing the might of 6.5:1.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Did you replace the shifter bushing (Suzuki calls it the 'shifter sheet) when you rebuilt? If not, the shifter just jammed. Common problem with an old bushing.

You can do this while the t-case is in the vehicle.
Pull the shifter.
Use a long handled flat tip screw driver to reposition the shifter rods inside so that the notches line up.
Replace the shifter.
Done.
This article has pix...
Tcase Fix

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you replace the shifter bushing (Suzuki calls it the 'shifter sheet) when you rebuilt? If not, the shifter just jammed. Common problem with an old bushing.

You can do this while the t-case is in the vehicle.
Pull the shifter.
Use a long handled flat tip screw driver to reposition the shifter rods inside so that the notches line up.
Replace the shifter.
Done.
This article has pix...
Tcase Fix
No I didn't replace the bushings. Should they have been replaced? I don't know if the shop cheated me, but they completely removed the T/C, drained the oil and opened one of the plates. They said the problem was from that little bearing ball inside, which they replaced. Car is out now, but the shifter is wobling a lot more now than it did earlier. I think I'm going to place an order for that poly bushing in lowrangeoffroad.com.

·
Registered
616 Posts
...I think I'm going to place an order for that poly bushing in lowrangeoffroad.com.
I would heartily recommende that you buy the Zuks OffRoad (ZOR) Brass t-case bushing.

ZOR Zuks Off Road

Scroll halfway down the page for a description.

inexpensive and rugged.

Oh and they work! I have one on my DD:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I strongly suggest doing anything that Ack heartily suggests doing.
:eek: Wait, now - let's not become lemming-like! :eek:

Even I find myself FOS occasionally and end up tagging myself out for it.

I'll try not to use the phrase "heartily suggest" in future posts.

...but I DO think that the ZOR T-Bra is a great product!

Thanks for the compliment though, Baratacus. :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'm just sayin, you don't throw around hearty suggestions that often, but when you do it's generally pretty good advice...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alternator...
If you haven't ordered it yet, PM me your address. I have an extra one here at the house.
Wow that's great! I have already placed an order with Rocky Road, but they still haven't fufilled it for me, so I'll just cancel it. Do you have both the bushing and the sheet? Cuz I ordered both items.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The shifter sheet for the transfer case is what I have. It is the bronze version that ZOR makes. It will NOT wear out... Myron makes some quality stuff.
You will be pleased.:D

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The shifter sheet for the transfer case is what I have. It is otherwise known as the t-case bushing. It is the bronze version that ZOR makes. It will NOT wear out... Myron makes some quality stuff.
You will be pleased.:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me get this straight, Rocky road and low range both sell two pieces, a bushing and a shifter sheet. Which one is the one I need to replace to fix the wobble?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Low Range has it listed like this:

Transfer Case Shifter Sheet (View install)
Price:$14.00

The pic shows the poly version and the stock version next to it.

BUT... it is the Bronze version from ZOR that looks like this:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, I get it, I was confused, because they were offering a transmission bushing and a T/C bushing, and I thought both were for the T/C. Ok, I requested to cancel the T/C bushing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts