Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 88 Samurai and it has some play in the shifter. I took the shifter out to figure out what the problem is and when I put it back together it wont go into any gear now, It's like all it has is neutral. I must have missed something. Any advice would be great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Pull the shifter back out and look down into the shift tower. the shift forks need to be lined up in the center. use a large flat tip screwdriver to move the rods into place. THEN put the shifter back into place. if it is still really sloppy , then you may have to replace the original bushing (called a shifter sheet) and maybe even the locator bolt that slides into the slot in the shifter.

Do a search here on the site and you will find quite a few threads talking about the same thing. It is a common problem for our zooks.

This question answered by both Billjohn and Alternator while sharing a meal in El Paso! Yes... he made the trip to El Paso!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yup, I made it to El Paso, all the way from Saudi Arabia.

I had that problem before, and I wasn't really able to do anything with the shifter tower neck on, so I had to remove the neck to get a clear view of the forks. Just in case you find it difficult to see what you're doing with the neck on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had my mechanic friend come over and do it for me. I had to give up. Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts