Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a samurai 1.9td. I have just taken the gear box out to replace worn first gear synchro. After much struggling the gear box slipped back in but now I can't seem to get it into gear. I have tightened the cable until there is almost no free play at the release arm. The clutch feels spongy when pressed. Could I have damaged the clutch or spring release putting the gear box back in? Or do I just need to tighten the cable more? Please can any one advise before I take the gear box out again.

·
Super Moderator
17,587 Posts
there is almost no free play at the release arm
Gauge your "play" at the pedal. Hopefully you just need to adjust the cable tighter, as opposed to having a release bearing / clutch actuation shaft assembly problem, a worn out cable or cable bracket (attachment) issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Max for advice, I can see the logic . Have tightened clutch at pedal until the bolt almost fell out but still can't get into gear. I will try measuring length of clutch cable to see if it has stretched. When moving her with the engine off I hear a grating noise from the bell housing, never noticed this before?

·
Super Moderator
17,587 Posts
When moving her with the engine off I hear a grating noise from the bell housing, never noticed this before?
THAT doesn't sound good. Assembly error? :huh:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gauge your "play" at the pedal. Hopefully you just need to adjust the cable tighter, as opposed to having a release bearing / clutch actuation shaft assembly problem, a worn out cable or cable bracket (attachment) issue.
The "play" is that when you push down on the pedal an till it begins to get get tough ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts