Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had a problem with the vitara 2004 where they get stuck in park and can not shift into neutral , drive, or reverse or anything on an automatic. I took car to dealer after only a year after my car got stuck in park it had to be towed in and they said they fixed it that it was the button that controls the shifting into gear when you press on the brake. so i picked it up and drove to work once i got to work i parked and decided to try to take it out of park again and it was stuck again. So i had it towed again to the dealer and they have had it for three days now and still dont know what is wrong with the car.

Months earlier i also had a problem with my stereo where it just keep running but would not play any cds. Do you think they are related?

Any one who can help Thanks,
Bunny

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would doubt very much that the two issues are related as one is mechanical and the other electrical.

You will probably find that the dealer will replace the T bar stick for your automatic as it is a mechanical fault.

As for the stereo? I cant help you with that. Sounds like a faultu unit?

Moose

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey moose thanks, they said they couldnt find anything wrong that they took the whole car apart and could find nothing wrong. they said they test drove it and test drove it and could not get it to get stuck again after they put the car back together! So i picked it up today and drove it to my boyfriends in jersey city and parked the car i was even especially gentle my boyfriend watched me park it and i went to take it out of park and it was stuck again!!! This is the third time now.

I dont know much about cars but would a faulty t bar stick keep blowing a fuse that controls the shifting?

I really appreciate your response and help
thanks so much,
bunny

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
are you depressing the brake BEFORE you try to move the gear selector out of park. Thats the correct way. There is a small 'plug' on the driver side of the console besides the shifter. Removew the plag next time it gets stuck and I believe that you can 'trip' the t lock to get it out park..

Frank

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2003 Vitara 4x4 just got stuck in park for the first time today--I did the thing the manual says about removing the small side port and moving the tab to one side. (The manual says this is an electrical problem--I did notice a funny whine coming from the steering wheel area whenever I use the turn signal or turn the wheel; noted it just in the last few days, and the "Service Engine Soon" light was on for a couple of days over the weekend.) So I went directly to the local repair shop, too late to do anything today, but the mechanic did have to lend a screwdriver and a hand to move the switch for me. Of course, you have to have the key on (but engine not running) and I put the emergency brake on, then moved the shift lever to neutral, started the car, removed the emergency brake, put the car in gear and continued on my way home. It is still stuck whenever I put it in park. I put a screwdriver in my purse for tomorrow, and will return for "diagnostics" in the morning. Worse than a doctor's appointment. If it costs too much, I may have to carry the screwdriver for a while. We'll see what they say. By the way, I always press the brake down fully when I take a vehicle out of park. I worry that I press too hard!

·
Registered
9 Posts
for some reason that always seems to help :amen: This little car has been good to me. We traded a Chevy Avalanche for 2 Suzukis; I think we got the better end of the deal! Why people want to spend a fortune on those things is beyond me. (The fortune is spent after the sale--taxes, fuel, etc etc)
I know it's off topic, but still fun to share. bbfn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts