Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently located a small dripping oil leak from the back of my motor where the distributor cap bolts onto the engine block, I took off the flange and cap and put a gasket around it then placed it back on (I tried to make sure it was in the same position with the cap off). Now when I fire it up it seems REALLY rough and isnt smooth at all. If I give it gas it runs fine at high rpms without the shake. Im assuming I accidentally put it in maybe a little off but I dont know how many positions the distributor cap has (4?) or if it would even fire at all if it was off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on the dilema.

·
Super Moderator
13,687 Posts
Was the oil leaking where the distributor bolts to the block, or where the cap bolts to the distributor - you're looking at two different possible leaks, in two different places - the first is an O ring on the distributor mount, the second is a seal in the distributor.

The first requires the entire distributor to be removed (not just the cap) and the second requires the distributor to be removed and disassembled to reach the seal.

If all you did was remove the cap and seal it, you have dislodged a plug lead, but, what's going to happen is the distributor will slowly fill with oil.

If you removed the distributor rather than just the cap, you may have replaced it out of time.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
If you removed the distributor rather than just the cap, you may have replaced it out of time.
X2. You're either a tooth off, or you need to time it with a light to get to spec.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes it's a bit tricky if you've never done it before. You have to anticipate the rotor position since it spins as you insert the distributor.

But I was also thinking that while this might not be what's causing it to run poor, it might be an issue. You say you put a gasket on the flange. Unless something's different with the earlier 8v, it should get an o-ring. Seems to me a gasket would improperly space the distributor mount to the cam gear, throwing off the mesh, and maybe cause problems later.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took off the whole bracket, not just tye cap. It was leaking where the little o ring is but its shot and needee to be replaced. The gasket i made isnt that thick but it definately did create some space. Now if i put in in out of timing, would it run at all or just crank for ever? Im pretty sure i put it in correctly because i made that mistake before and wasnt going to do it again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I fixed it roughly 5 minutes ago and she is running like a champ again. I noticed that 1. My gasket was probably too thick and 2. that the o ring was 25 years old and snapped, getting itself lodged into the flange that should be flush. I cleaned it all out and removed the o ring, using silicone as a substitute. I then relocated the position of the distributor cap arm and found the ideal spot, bolted it in place and fired it up. No stutters or stalls and the zuki lives another day. Hopefully the old girl lives to 400k.

Good news too because im going on an off roading adventure into the mountains on friday and was super concerned I had jumped timing or something.

Thanks everybody for the quick replies and helpful input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts