Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not very often, but sometimes when I press the STOP button the engine does not stop, and I have to press the button again.

The problem is that if you press the button, and then lift the foot from the clutch pedal while the engine is still running, the car will move and you may hit something.

I have never had similar problems when starting the engine: the engine always start on the first button push.

Anyone else has had this problem?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
It's probably got something to do with the procedure in the Owner's Manual not being followed?

In other words, Operator Error?

·
Super Moderator
15,402 Posts
If you put the car in neutral and pull the hand brake up, you can take you foot off the clutch without the risk of it moving. Good habit to get into.

No, I don't have an Ignis, but my Navara turbo diesel pickup has push button start, and a manual transmission.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's probably got something to do with the procedure in the Owner's Manual not being followed?

In other words, Operator Error?
The only thing I can find in the manual is that the car has to had come to a complete stop, which has always been the case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you put the car in neutral and pull the hand brake up, you can take you foot off the clutch without the risk of it moving. Good habit to get into.
Sure, I could do that. But, pulling the hand brake up in winter is not a good idea, because if you forget it in the brake position then it may have frozen the next time you want to drive the car :)

Instead of using the hand brake I could of course also push the brake pedal. But, I was just wondering whether others have experienced this engine-does-not-stop-when-pushing-the-button issue.

·
Super Moderator
15,402 Posts
Did the system give you any warnings, or did it just not switch off? Try deliberately switching it off with the car in motion, both in gear and rolling in neutral - purely for test purposes, I believe you should get a warning message, which if you didn't on the previous occasions would mean the system never saw the "button push".

Regarding the hand brake & winter - that's not something that would occur to me - we have year round warm weather here, two wet, two dry seasons rather than the four you have...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did the system give you any warnings, or did it just not switch off?
Just did not switch off. Then, when I press the second time, it has so far always switched off.

And, again, this happens very seldom, but it does happen. And, it has happended indoors, so no wind movements, uneven surfaces etc that might trick the system into thinking that the car is still moving.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's not an uncommon issue on other cars. Often the engine will stop if you keep the button pressed for a second or so. Often results from a sticky solenoid. This simple button has quite complex circuitry with several interlocks.

·
Super Moderator
15,402 Posts
Which solenoid would that be?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Depends on whether it’s diesel or petrol. On a petrol it’s often the solenoid or relay on the feed to the ignition module that slow to act.

·
Super Moderator
15,402 Posts
To some of us, a solenoid and a relay are two VERY different things.

·
Super Moderator
15,402 Posts
Thinking about it a little more - I seriously doubt that this is caused by a "mechanical issue" ie. a sticking relay or solenoid - we've been told it goes off when the button is pushed again - a sticking relay or solenoid would have been "de-energized" on the first push, with no "hold current", the time interval to drop out will be random and not influenced by repeated pushes on the button - it's more likely to be some "unmet" condition in the logic, so the system does not enter the shutdown sequence on the first push of the button.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Haven't experienced this issue (as I always use handbrake).

The only thing I've noticed recently (which is probably unrelated to your issue) is if you park up and the car goes into idle stop. You can switch car off without engine coming back on, but if you unbuckle seat belt before turning car off, the engine comes back on before you press button to turn off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could be a safety feature, whereby it might be detecting wheel movement so doesn't turn off (car moving and thinks you accidentally pressed the button). One alternative could be you use the handbrake to switch off, but take off handbrake after switching off, but don't know how much of a faff that would be to your procedure

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Haven't experienced this issue (as I always use handbrake).
I think you might have found part of the issue, you use the hand brake.
If its not seeing the handbrake applied then you will usually need 2 pushes of the stop button. I know a friends Mazda 3 does the same thing, auto in park or in neutral plus handbrake on and it shuts off every time.

The only thing I can find in the manual is that the car has to had come to a complete stop, which has always been the case.
do you have it in neutral? or still in gear with your foot on the clutch? try putting it in neutral before pressing the stop button. I bet its still seeing it in gear with handbrake off so its figuring "this guys pressed the button accidentally, I'll stay running"

think safety police here, the cars logic is finding an issue as Fordem says and making you think about what you're doing to turn the car off.

·
Registered
252 Posts
To some of us, a solenoid and a relay are two VERY different things.
I’m sure you understand exactly what I mean without being pedantic! By definition, a solenoid uses an electromagnet to convert electrical energy to mechanical movement. A relay is simply a solenoid that uses the mechanical movement to open / close a pair of contacts.

·
Super Moderator
15,402 Posts
First - you're dealing with laymen here, second, a relay is purely electrical in function, and a solenoid is not - solenoids in an automotive environment typically open & close valves, relays do not.

·
Super Moderator
15,402 Posts
I finally found the time to pull the Navara out from it's usual parking spot and "explore" the push button engine start system - the only scenario I have found under which pushing the button does not shut the engine off is if the vehicle is rolling. In or out of gear, hand brake up or down, as long as the vehicle is stationary, the diesel shuts off on the first push of the button, if the vehicle is rolling, it will not shut off.

This of course may not be how an Ignis works, but it is I believe how most of the push button start systems I've used work - the Nav is the only manual transmission push button start I've driven, all others have been automatic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sure, I could do that. But, pulling the hand brake up in winter is not a good idea, because if you forget it in the brake position then it may have frozen the next time you want to drive the car :)

Instead of using the hand brake I could of course also push the brake pedal. But, I was just wondering whether others have experienced this engine-does-not-stop-when-pushing-the-button issue.
This is not Siberia. The brake should not freeeze this far south of the Arctic Circle... I live in an area of Scotland that 'used to' regularly get down to -14 to -20 sometimes and never known a hand brake to freeze.
I have known Fiat Panda hand brakes to 'seize' on but never freeeze.
Technician told us to use the Park option on the auto box, etc...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts