Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first Suzuki Samurai yesterday from a friend of mine. Before loading it, I drove it around his dirt roads on the property and everything except the starter worked without a hitch. The vehicle had some recent maintenance done (belts, starter, tires) and ran pretty well so I loaded it up and hauled it to the ranch. I unloaded it and drove it around for 5 minutes before going to bed. I am out of town now for work at the moment. I have the VIN and attempted to look up the model info, but was surprised how little information was found. Below is what I THINK the vehicle is. The Vin is correct for sure.

VIN: JS4JC51C1J4244670
Model: Samurai Trim: JX Convertible
Year: 1988
Engine: 4 cylinder

Anyhow, after driving it on caliche roads I quickly realized that it had no power steering. I was going to research what the best repair manual is out there and what components are involved in the power steering when I came across several websites offering upgrades for power steering. So does my zuk even have power steering?!

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the only SJ/Samurai's ever made with power steering are the later coil sprung models available in some parts of Europe and Australia. Power steering can be fitted to earlier models using a few custom components and using the system from the Vitara/Sidekick/Tracker. Well this is the case here in the UK with RHD models, I assume this is still the case for LHD. This site recognises your VIN and should show what you have.

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/vehicle?c=Suzuki&ssd=$BQEBcgJKQ1tddHw4UTNxBgV2A3kABF9RTwUDSmpyYhlwXRM8d1x5QAYS$&vid=10&cid=660&q=JS4JC51C1J4244670

1 - 5 of 5 Posts