Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car info:
SX4 GLX 1.6 5 door hatch crossover

Almost every time I start my car, there is a loud squeal as if the p/steering belt isn't gripping - this gets worse if I turn the steering wheel while it's still cold.

The belt has been replaced and tightened - problem persists.

The P/steering is electric, so eliminates the other Hydraulic issues I've seen on this forum.

My thoughts are that the P/steering generator might have seized?

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
..The belt has been replaced and tightened - problem persists....The P/steering is electric....this gets worse if I turn the steering wheel .
If the batttery is still charged and car starts, then the alternator rotates and charges. this is proven by the additional load it takes when the electric p/s is asked to turn the wheels.......
I cannot think of anything other than "tighten the belt" again....unless other info comes to add other factors ......? www.avigex.ca/sx4/sx4belt.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying that the Alternator is supplying the power directly to the P/steering?

The mechanic is under the impression there is a separate unit for p/steering.

:confused:

If the batttery is still charged and car starts, then the alternator rotates and charges. this is proven by the additional load it takes when the electric p/s is asked to turn the wheels.......
I cannot think of anything other than "tighten the belt" again....unless other info comes to add other factors ......? www.avigex.ca/sx4/sx4belt.jpg

·
Registered
569 Posts
The north American SX4 has HYDRAULIC power steering with a belt powered pump and a fluid reservoir. Other markets (maybe UK and Europe) have electronic power steering that likely has no relationship with the belt drive that powers your alternator, AC etc. If you are suffering from belt squeal you could try a light touch of "belt dressing" that comes in a spray can. If the electric motor that powers your steering is dying, that should be a separate issue?? :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Theforsa,
Belt Dressing, or DW40 as it's known here was used as well as tightening the belts. This worked for a day before the sqealing started again.
The noise is just like an old fanbelt slipping, but the belts are brand new, and there is good tension.
Once the car warms up, it's no longer a problem.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Dw40?

:eek: I hope you don't mean WD40 ??? That's a lubricant and should NOT be used on a drive belt !! The SX4s over here have a spring loaded tensioner arm for the serpentine belt, so they cant be tensioned manually. It's possible that you have a noisy pulley that quiets when it warms up?? :confused: Cheers

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
That's an old trick of crooked used car dealers! lol
(use a lubricant to quiet worn belts)

The biggest problem with squealing on older cars is the spring loaded idler.
By the time a serpentine belt would need replacing, it's a good idea to replace the idler too. That saves having to go back in there a few months later.

Electric Power steering as seen on SX4's in countries other than the USA, is just like any other electronic device on the car. It has nothing to do with the fan belt. So that leaves several things that can make that noise.....
the idler pully, the front bearing in the alternator, or the water pump.

Any GOOD mechanic should be able to find the source of the noise.

Good Luck!
:cool:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Well, (scratching my head) if the power steering was drawing more current, and the belt was not tight against the Alternator pulley, it might squeal. ??

It's one of those things that are pretty hard to troubleshoot from half a world away. That's why it's a good thing, to get problems like that to those qualified to find and fix the problem. Eh?

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
Well, (scratching my head) if the power steering was drawing more current, and the belt was not tight against the Alternator pulley, it might squeal. ??
I think that is precisely what is happening here. ;)

A worn, glazed, coolant or oil soaked belt would cause a slipping / noise issue during the additional electrical load placed on the alternator from the steering action.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Are you saying that the Alternator is supplying the power directly to the P/steering?
:confused:
Absolutely....the P/S takes its power from the "normal" electric system..that is, battery, alternator....and this...

and this www.avigex.ca/sx4/sx4belt.jpg
is exactly taken from your exact car shop manual...what you see is what you get...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.