Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power steering pump of 96' Sidekick Sport 1.8l gets oil leaking at the base of its pulley. The shop said the bearing gets bad. Is it repairable by replacing the bearing, shaft seal and seal kits or I need to replace the whole pump??

·
Super Moderator
18,735 Posts
Seal kits are available, assuming that the mating parts are still serviceable.
Bearings (IF bad) are a separate issue / buy.

Complete pumps are the other option (Rebuild or Reman)

·
Super Moderator
18,735 Posts
One Hail Mary option would be this, but it is more effective on Rack and Pinion seals..

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seal kits are available, assuming that the mating parts are still serviceable.
Thanks Max. What do you mean by mating parts??

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One Hail Mary option would be this, but it is more effective on Rack and Pinion seals..

Where to get this??

·
Super Moderator
18,735 Posts
What do you mean by mating parts??
The hard mechanical surfaces (pump internals) on which the soft gasket and seal parts ride.

"Stop Leak" additives...Google for a local source.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Max. I checked rockauto they don't have the new pump for sale. I have to send the old pump for them to rebuild only!! I saw some second hand ones on ebay but I am afraid they get bad on me again!! Do you think the pump of non sport model and sport model is the same??

·
Super Moderator
18,735 Posts
I can't confirm as to whether both model pumps are the same or not.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
18,735 Posts
If you can pull up the two different models on this web site and compare the pump part numbers, that would indicate if they were the same pump or not.

·
Super Moderator
15,012 Posts
You find the relevant parts catalogs and look up the part numbers - they are not.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the inputs!!
If I cannot find the new pump, is it possible to rebuild the pump? I checked rockauto regarding the seal rebuild kit. There are only two kits: 1- Power Steering Pump Seal Kit and 2- Power Steering Pump Shaft Seal. Do I need to buy these two kits???

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far I can find the J20a power steering pump with P/N 49100-56D10. But I don't know if it can fit in the Sport pump with P/N 49100-77E40-000???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts