Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all excited to try out my new SX4 Crossover AWD in a 8-9 inch snowstorm last night. My driveway is straight and about 700 feet long and the middle 300 ft has a 40-50 foot rise. In winter, all of my previous vehicles either made it up the hill or not. The "failure mode" in each was the tires would spin and the engine rev high rpms. Sometimes we could make it up the whole way with the tires spinning and the engine revvinat 5000+.

Last night, I put the new SX4 to the test. I pulled in the driveway switch the AWD to lock and gunned it up the hill. Well, I only made it 1/2 of the way up... the car did not stop because the wheels were spinning with no progeess, but the engine dogged right down to a complete loss of power. It took me three runs to make it up. Truthfully, I think the forenza wagon I traded in would have done better. What's up? This is the convienience model, so there is no traction control.

The car has failed the one test that was the reason I bought a 4wd car and sacrificed a little gas mileage.:(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Snow Power Loss

I was just thinking, could it be the big pack boots I was wearing was depressing the brake as well as the accelerator? Don't know how I could have been able to tell on an automatic. My manual transmissions would have started bucking.

·
Registered
143 Posts
its possible youre "feet" were hitting both pedals. it happens sometimes.

another idea is since there was 8-9 inches, its possible that the car started getting too much snow packed under it, under the frame and body, and slowed it down. i spent an hour and a half trying to get my car out of a block of cie driveway yesterday and noticed that even in AWD auto or lock modes, only two tires will spin at any given time if its stuck. one front and one rear. remember, its an AWD car, not a true 4x4 truck. so not every wheel spins all the time, at the same time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked last night with the same boots on. I don't think unknoingly hitting the brake was it. I repeated the process on the now clear (hardpack) driveway. I switched to locked all wheel and headed up the hill. I slowed down about halfway up and noticed very little throttle response, felt like I was lacking power. I'm sure that having to push a little snow and "break trail" might be enough to overcome what little power the car was putting out and give me the results I experienced two days ago in the snow.

Does the transmission not downshift in locked AWD? I just can't figure this out.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
How fast are you going. The transmission is probably still in first gear - therefore has nothing to shift down into.

How many miles do you have - and what kind of tires?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just put a set of General snow with rims on my SX-4 Crossover and drove in about 10 inchs of snow, felt a little power lose but onno real issue. The snow was also heavy due to some weathery mix. I cannot be happier with the car, its no V-8 remember.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This sure sounds like traction control behavior. "The engine dogged down to a complete loss of power" really sounds like the computer was cutting power.

You're sure this car doesn't have traction control? Many traction control systems reduce power or apply the brakes, just as you describe the symptoms.

Also with about 6+" of ground clearance and 9-10" of snow, there is a limit to how much snow you can push. You have a 50 foot rise over about 300 feet? That's steep.

This is a small car, not a snow plow. The laws of physics still apply.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. I think the problem was that because I am used to keeping a light foot on the accelerator to avoid losing traction on slippery surfaces, the transmission did not downshift effectively. The fact that it bogged down without downshifting on it's own mistifies me. I'm just not used to really kicking the accelerator in such situations. Next time I will shift down to low and leave it there. I wonder what mph corresponds to a redline in L?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Somewhere not far there is a table of MPH/1000 RPM for each gear.
Do a search.
Or look up a Car and Driver road test, they publish those numbers in complete road tests or comparos.

You can also run it up to 2000 in whatever gear you're interested in, divide the MPH by two, and that is your MPH per 1000 RPM.

Multiply by red line or auto shift point, probably around 6000. Drop three zeros. =MPH/1000 RPM for that gear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You're sure your model doesn't have traction control or stability control?

I'd find the ABS fuse and pull it, then attempt the hill again. TC and stability systems usually apply the brake on a spinning wheel, using the ABS system.

The stock tires on an SX4 shouldn't be big enough or tractive enough to bog the engine down to idle in snow...unless you're at high altitude. Even then, the 2.5L 4cyl in my old Wrangler wasn't much stronger than the SX4's 1.6L, and even with stock R&P gears, it would send rooster-tails flying off of 30" mudders in deep snow. I'm not talking 10" of snow either. I'm talking over 18".

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
You're sure your model doesn't have traction control or stability control?

I'd find the ABS fuse and pull it, then attempt the hill again. TC and stability systems usually apply the brake on a spinning wheel, using the ABS system.

The stock tires on an SX4 shouldn't be big enough or tractive enough to bog the engine down to idle in snow...unless you're at high altitude. Even then, the 2.5L 4cyl in my old Wrangler wasn't much stronger than the SX4's 1.6L, and even with stock R&P gears, it would send rooster-tails flying off of 30" mudders in deep snow. I'm not talking 10" of snow either. I'm talking over 18".
SX-4 has a 2.0L motor. The 1.6L is in the Swift+

·
Registered
57 Posts
We live in the Pennsylvania mountains where we have heavy snow all winter. My wife works in a nursing home where there is a very steep hill going into and out of the parking lot. I get a call from her one night saying everyone is getting stuck on this hill leaving work. Her boss with a new Jeep Wagoneer was stuck in the middle. She wanted to know if she could put the selector switch in lock to try and go up the hill. I had told her to leave it in AWD. I told her to go for it. She proceeded up the hill with no problem. Only one other employee with a Subaru could get out. Our little SX4 is like a tank. I will say thoguh that we got an extra set of factory wheels off of Ebay, and I put a set of Blizzak tires on them that we run only in the winter.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
SX4+Blizzaks=awesome winter car. Everyone that has bought from our dealer and came and got tires put on it just loves the car in winter.

Lock mode won't hurt anything either for a bit extra traction right off the bat, and it cancels out after 40km anyway, but either way sounds like you're enjoying your car :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts