Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can somebody help identify the power door actuators of the 5 doors of Suzuki Sidekick Sport 1.8l engine??
Pics would be best and where they are located??

·
Super Moderator
13,079 Posts
This may seem obvious, but the power door lock actuators are going to be inside the doors hanging off the bottom of the door lock assembly - it's hard to miss them.

This is an ebay auction picture of a rear door lock for a Sidekick, the actuator is the piece on the lower right with the electrical connector, they are not supplied as a separate item, although they can be separated.

Open your door, find the wires and follow them.

·
Super Moderator
18,191 Posts
When needing to replace mine, I found it a whole lot less expensive and WAY easier to just install aftermarket solenoids right to the existing lock linkage rod. They connect to the same two existing +/- wires as well! ?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. The door behind the driver, that does not have door lock, just stops working, cannot lock and unlock. Does each door must have one separately??

·
Super Moderator
13,079 Posts
Yes, each door, including the tail gate on a hard top vehicle will have an actuator.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When needing to replace mine, I found it a whole lot less expensive and WAY easier to just install aftermarket solenoids right to the existing lock linkage rod. They connect to the same two existing +/- wires as well! ?

Thanks Max and Fordem. Are they all the same to fit Suzuki Sidekick?? Or there is specific one??

·
Super Moderator
18,191 Posts
They are universal in nature, require only a small void area in which to reside and you'll need to be a bit handy to install them.

A couple of how-to installation videos...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked the guy whose 98' Sidekick Sport has the same problem as me. This is what he said: "
I know only a small percentage here have power door locks but here's something worth sharing. My left rear door lock was not working. I had power to it and a power probe to the actuator would energize it but there was no movement of the door lock. I had a spare actuator and swapped it out, getting my door lock to work again but wanted to know what was failing on the original one.

The motor has a worm gear and moves a plastic pivot attached to a metal arm. The plastic at the end of the pivot was worn and the metal part at the end was no longer in a 'fixed' position so it wouldn't move the door lock properly, it would just move back and forth. I can pull the metal end off, position it, and epoxy it back to a fixed position and it should work again.

As these actuators can't be bought new, it looks like they can be repaired. Even the electric motor can be sourced if need be.

Hope this information can be of help to someone. Now to figure out why the rear door doesn't lock."
Now to figure out why the rear door doesn't lock1.jpg

The photo is of the actuator. If you are asking location its inside the LH rear door, about 1' lower than the striker panel and about 4 inches in from the back. Pull the inner panel, pull back the plastic barrier at the rear and look inside and you will see it.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Thanks, looks to be good info.

I might be needing this as I have one door lock that doesn't work on my 1994 JLX Kick, and if the door lock fuse is installed, it runs the battery down. I noticed this a while back and have had the fuse out for a couple of years. It is on my to-do list... just a ways down.

·
Super Moderator
13,079 Posts
Your problem is more likely to be the control than the actuator - the actuator is really just a motor with a self resetting "polyswitch" overload trip - apply power with polarity one way, it locks; apply power with the polarity reversed, it unlocks - BUT - power should not be constantly applied - it should only be present when you're locking or unlocking.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are universal in nature, require only a small void area in which to reside and you'll need to be a bit handy to install them.

A couple of how-to installation videos...

The actuator of the door lock of the Suzuki Sidekick Sport 1.8l engine is very different!!

·
Super Moderator
18,191 Posts
The actuator of the door lock of the Suzuki Sidekick Sport 1.8l engine is very different!!
As are 90% of the comparatively installed OE lock mechanisms incorporated into their systems.
  • The lock solenoid that I showed you is a universal / stand alone add-on unit designed to function in vehicles not equipped with power door locks.
  • They can be additionally used in conjunction with OE actuators (operable or not) for added alarm and remote actuated door locking / unlocking system features. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts