Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
easy way to test the booster. pump pedal till its hard, hold depressed, start engine, if it sinks about 3/4 of an inch or more, booster is working.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
And while this may not be helpful, from personal experience I find that a very hard brake pedal might indicate a hydraulic fluid blockage somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
And while this may not be helpful, from personal experience I find that a very hard brake pedal might indicate a hydraulic fluid blockage somewhere in the system.
LSPV blocked? or at least partially, will still allow brakes to operate, but at nowhere near full effectiveness

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just to update, I replaced both rear slaves cylinders and the flex brake hose at the rear axle and braking and braking feel is better. Rears will now go all the way to locked in a controllable manner. Both sides had sticking pistons at the leading shoe.

I attached a couple of pictures of my tracker - interior is just as clean and original as the exterior.

Thanks for all the input!
Doug

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
LSPV blocked? or at least partially, will still allow brakes to operate, but at nowhere near full effectiveness
No, blockage in hydraulic pipe going to the rear brakes which prevented the rears from braking. While I was still able to brake with 80% effectiveness, the pedal was extremely hard.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just to update, I replaced both rear slaves cylinders and the flex brake hose at the rear axle and braking and braking feel is better. Rears will now go all the way to locked in a controllable manner. Both sides had sticking pistons at the leading shoe.

I attached a couple of pictures of my tracker - interior is just as clean and original as the exterior.

Thanks for all the input!
Doug

You didn't even mention that it was a Tin Top. What did you find out about the vibration? Have you tried switching the tires front to rear to see if the vibration changes?
B95

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I did try that with no change. Ujoints were free with no play as well. I just got a bearing and seal kit for the txfr case and am looking for a shop to just pull the rear cover and replace the roller bearing the slip yoke rides in and the seal...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
No, blockage in hydraulic pipe going to the rear brakes which prevented the rears from braking. While I was still able to brake with 80% effectiveness, the pedal was extremely hard.
Bex,
Interesting that... I will have to look into that valve as well I guess.
Are replacements or rebuild kits available?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Are replacement LSPV or rebuild kits for the LSPV available anywhere? I could not find one anywhere on the interweb, and various forums had folks replacing them with manual adjust ones or just bypassing altogether. I don't know if I have a problem with this for certain but don't want to mess with it unless I have I have a replacement or plan for converting it...

What have others done?
Thanks!
Doug

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
depending on local regs, bypassing it is easiest if its not required for any roadworthiness cert

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The only inspection I have to pass is for emmissions. That said I would not do anything to degrade brakes. The result would have to be as good or better than the original or I would not be comfortable driving the car.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
the LSPV only dials the rear brakes off a bit when unloaded to try and prevent rear brake lockups when theres no weight in the back. In all honesty, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference if it was there or not, I bet 90% of the ones fitted out there don't work properly.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
Are replacement LSPV or rebuild kits for the LSPV available anywhere? I could not find one anywhere on the interweb, and various forums had folks replacing them with manual adjust ones or just bypassing altogether. I don't know if I have a problem with this for certain but don't want to mess with it unless I have I have a replacement or plan for converting it...

What have others done?
Thanks!
Doug
This is a personal story, and not meant as any advice, etc. I had the RWAL, and never actually felt the brake pedal ‘pump’ as you’re supposed to. Anyway, a few years ago, I did a frame swap with a 1997 Vitara. Turns out that my RWAL hadn’t been working, and who knows for how long...I used the rear axle/diff from the Vitara which did not have RWAL. The guys who did the frame swap did not swap over the LSPV set up that was presumably on the Vitara. I am now running front discs, rear drums, no RWAL, no LSPV. And do not notice any difference. I still stop the same way I always did. My ‘theory’ is that for decades, cars didn’t have any of these circuits at all. And, as 2013 says, chances are these systems in these 20+ cars may not even be working. My RWAL wasn’t.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts