Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if the swap can be done only swapping engine, maybe radiator. maybe ICU. Then what else.
Any ideas would be appreciated. The six would give me 25 more hp. My car struggles with the mountains here in Ruidoso, NM.

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts
Manual or automatic transmission?

I'm inclined to say no, but a better answer would be it's going to be more work that you anticipate - you're going to need the engine, ECU wiring harness, intake & exhaust systems and the cooling system. If it's a manual transmission, you're going to need the entire transmission assembly, if it's an automatic transmission, you might not need the transmission, but you'll definitely need the bell housing, you might also want the front & rear axle gears sets.

Getting all of these pieces without paying a wrecker through the nose for parts of unknown condition, you'd be better off being a low mileage wreck (if you can find one), or just buying a V6 Tracker and selling the one you have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual or automatic transmission?

I'm inclined to say no, but a better answer would be it's going to be more work that you anticipate - you're going to need the engine, ECU wiring harness, intake & exhaust systems and the cooling system. If it's a manual transmission, you're going to need the entire transmission assembly, if it's an automatic transmission, you might not need the transmission, but you'll definitely need the bell housing, you might also want the front & rear axle gears sets.

Getting all of these pieces without paying a wrecker through the nose for parts of unknown condition, you'd be better off being a low mileage wreck (if you can find one), or just buying a V6 Tracker and selling the one you have.
I've had this tracker convertible going on 16 years, I love the car, but it's really a slug on power. In 2019, I purchased a 2006 Baja Turbo. It really has the power, but I really don't like it. Hard to get in and out of. I'm going to sell it. I would buy a Tracker convertible with a V6, it I could find one with reasonable mileage. I understand the 2003, and 2004 V6 has 165 hp. that would be enough. I can find plenty Tracker wagons with a V6. I suppose I will keep looking.
I had considering putting a turbo on mine, but that is also a bag of worms.
Thank you for your time an expertise.
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had this tracker convertible going on 16 years, I love the car, but it's really a slug on power. In 2019, I purchased a 2006 Baja Turbo. It really has the power, but I really don't like it. Hard to get in and out of. I'm going to sell it. I would buy a Tracker convertible with a V6, it I could find one with reasonable mileage. I understand the 2003, and 2004 V6 has 165 hp. that would be enough. I can find plenty Tracker wagons with a V6. I suppose I will keep looking.
I had considering putting a turbo on mine, but that is also a bag of worms.
Thank you for your time an expertise.
John
I also have a Lincoln MKT, but it's a big car. It has eco boost, no problem with power there.

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts
Chevy never put the V6 in the convertibles, so the only way to get that combination would be to do a swap, but as I said, it's going to be a lot of work.

As for the shifting, there's a lever in between the seats - you can choose which gear you want it in - there should also be a switch alongside the shifter labelled AT with I believe a P and an N position - it changes the shift points, try both positions see which works best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chevy never put the V6 in the convertibles, so the only way to get that combination would be to do a swap, but as I said, it's going to be a lot of work.

As for the shifting, there's a lever in between the seats - you can choose which gear you want it in - there should also be a switch alongside the shifter labelled AT with I believe a P and an N position - it changes the shift points, try both positions see which works best.
I have played with the shifting, taking it out of Overdrive does help. Turning off the A/C helps greatly. I live at 7300 feet above sea level. I noticed your stable of cars and it's apparent you also like smaller cars. My Tracker has been trouble free except for a water pump about 7 years ago. When I purchased the car at auction in Florida it had 59.000 miles today it has 112,000 miles. I put a set of snow tires on it then and they need replacing now. I swear I have seen convertibles called a ZR2 with a V6 for the model years 2003 and 2004. I may be wrong, because I sure can't find one. If the ZR2 is a 4 cylinder, then it's no better than mine. I talked to the fellow who rebuilt my Baja turbo (John Peirce) and he told me not to turbo it. He said it involved too many things. Any modification to a vehicle with an ECM will involve headaches. I have a very good mobile mechanic and he has gotten me out of a lot of mistakes. I am thinking maybe turbo charging with a 5 or 6 PSI boost will give me the HP I want. I would like 25 HP more.
Thank you for your replies and suggestions.
You can see some of my junk in the gallery, I actually don't have a photo of my Tracker. I will take one and post it. I'm mostly into antique cars.
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got my manual out and sure enough there is a power mode selector switch. As far as I know it's always been in normal mode. I will try the car in the power mode with the over drive off and see how that works.
John

·
Registered
450 Posts
AFAIK, Chevy never offered the ZR2 package on anything with the smaller engine option. That's true for all GM vehicles, not just the Tracker/Vitara. If you NEED the soft top, then you'll have to settle for the 4cyl or swap. I'm with Fordem on the swap though. Yes, it CAN be done. But why? I have a couple of 4cyl and 6 cyl versions, and I can say the 6cyl isn't that much more power. A little, yes. But at your elevation the difference is going to be very minimal. Shift down, slow down and enjoy the ride.
Now, if you just want the challenge of a project and don't mind being without the vehicle for a few months minimum then I'm sure we all would like to see pics!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AFAIK, Chevy never offered the ZR2 package on anything with the smaller engine option. That's true for all GM vehicles, not just the Tracker/Vitara. If you NEED the soft top, then you'll have to settle for the 4cyl or swap. I'm with Fordem on the swap though. Yes, it CAN be done. But why? I have a couple of 4cyl and 6 cyl versions, and I can say the 6cyl isn't that much more power. A little, yes. But at your elevation the difference is going to be very minimal. Shift down, slow down and enjoy the ride.
Now, if you just want the challenge of a project and don't mind being without the vehicle for a few months minimum then I'm sure we all would like to see pics!
Thank you Skills:
Yes, both you and Fordem are correct and also logical. I have not tried his recommendation on using the power mode switch, I currently use the overdrive button on the shift lever. I looks like any modification you do, you will ECM problems. I am also looking at turbocharging. That actually might to be the simplest solution. They are starting to turbo the 2.0 j engines using a megasquirt module. You would still have to have the car tuned. I think there is an outfit i Alamagordo NM that can do that. As I told Fordem in late 2019, I bought a turbo Baja to solve my problem. The problem is, I don't like the car. I like the way my Tracker drives better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts