Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 92 geo tracker started a light knock a couple weeks ago but only when you were riding at the same speed and would stop when slowing down and speeding up and not while idling. Now has loud knock all the time but worsens greatly when accelerating. Is this a bad rod or could it be something more simple?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Wet and dry compression test and leakdown.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,264 Posts
I would suspect a connecting rod.. would not worry about compression....

..... Philip

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I would suspect a connecting rod.. would not worry about compression....

..... Philip
Philip, you, of all people, suspecting, and not testing?

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
Philip, you, of all people, suspecting, and not testing?
LOL!

School of hard knocks!.... Suspect, not guess.. That would send me down a significantly different diagnostic path...

..... Philip

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
How big of a job is that? Is it worth fixing?
These engine have bearings installed and then line bored at the factory to fit the crank, makes rebuilds critical..

If your top end is good (this is where the leak down comes in), the addition of a short block
if the engine is questionable, replace with either a good used or rebuilt..

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
I don't know what any of that means!
Do you have a mechanic?? If so, take it to them to check - I had a similar rod/knock noise years ago, and it was fixable - and not very expensively either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I don't have a mechanic. I am a single mother and just needed to know if I just needed to go ahead and sell it for what I can get out of it

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
No I don't have a mechanic. I am a single mother and just needed to know if I just needed to go ahead and sell it for what I can get out of it
What is your location?

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
By your description it sounds like a big end knock, maybe oil starvation..

When was the last time you checked the oil level, and what viscosity of oil are you using?

You could try changing to a 15W40, with a good fresh filter....

.....Philip

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had to add oil every once in a while when the oil light came on. I don't think my dip stick was the correct one because even after a oil change it wasn't reading right on the levels. I use 5w-30 now I believe. Would an oil change and new filter fix the knock or just make it better if anything?

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
I have had to add oil every once in a while when the oil light came on. I don't think my dip stick was the correct one because even after a oil change it wasn't reading right on the levels. I use 5w-30 now I believe. Would an oil change and new filter fix the knock or just make it better if anything?
The waiting for the oil light to come on has contributed to the issue (comes on @5-7psi)..

You may save the engine for a while by changing to the heavier oil (high mileage). Then check and top, on a more frequent basis.. Mark the full line on the stick and don't let it wander too far off...

..... Philip

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If i decided to just go ahead and sell it what would be a fair price for the condition? Has a brand new soft top, less than 2 months old. No other problems.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
In that case, I would sell it while it is still running.

I believe using a heavier oil in a motor in this condition will in fact hasten its self-destruction. Keep in mind the oil channels are likely already pretty clogged.

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
In that case, I would sell it while it is still running.

I believe using a heavier oil in a motor in this condition will in fact hasten its self-destruction. Keep in mind the oil channels are likely already pretty clogged.
I don't agree, if she uses a diesel grade 15W50 (very high detergent), she needs the oil to buffer the slack.. The vehicle as it sits with a heavy knock would not bring much more than with a completely dead engine...

..... Philip

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't want to put a heavier grade oil and then break down for good some where on my own with my son. I live in the country so it would be a long walk to find help. What would be a good price for selling it?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts