Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 GV 4 Cyl, SQ420W-2, Auto
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't needed to use 4H for a while and decided to stir up the oil in
the transfer box and shifted in 4H, first time at low speed and then in Park.
Both times it popped out after a few seconds with a bang.....
6 months ago both 4L and 4H were working fine.
Is this a DIY adjustment etc. or a job for a transmission shop ?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,798 Posts
Is the 4x4 light on the dash remaining lite ?

If not check the pump on the front differential.

·
Super Moderator
18,985 Posts
See the top FAQ section for info such as...

GM Tech Service Bulletin, Bulletin No.: 01-04-19-003, Date: April, 2001
Subject:

Harsh Clunk Noise From Front Axle While in 4WD and During Turning Maneuvers (Replace Front Differential Case, Actuator and Side Bearings)
Models:
1999 Chevrolet Tracker with Four-Wheel Drive
Condition
Some customers may comment on a harsh clunk or popping noise coming from the front axle. This condition is most apparent while driving in 4WD at low speeds on loose traction surfaces such as gravel or snow and turning right or left.
Cause
Inside the front differential case, the teeth of the free wheel axle hub may jump a tooth resulting in the noise.
Correction
A modification was made to the design of the front differential case, which should reduce the likelihood of the free wheel hub teeth from jumping.
Replace the front axle differential case, actuator and side bearings using the service procedure and part numbers as shown.
Important: With the new design differential case, the teeth may still jump under extreme torque load conditions, such as making tight turn maneuvers in 4WD on hard dry surfaces resulting in a similar noise. This noise is now considered to be a normal vehicle operating characteristic.
Driving on high traction surfaces in 4WD is not necessary and contributes to excessive torque load on the front axle. Customers should be advised to shift into 2WD when driving on such surfaces.

Bulletin No:TS 3-02 02096[R]
Model(s):all suzuki models
Section : drivetrain
CONDITION:transfer case bind-up
CAUSE: operating the vehicle 4WD with automatic or manual hubs engaged on dry pavement or on hard surfaced roads.
CORRECTION:follow procedure as listed
REVISION:
Transfer case bind-up is a phenomenon that can occur if a 4WD vehicle is driven on dry, hard surfaced roads
Should the vehicle continue to be driven in this condition,the transfer case gear shift lever will be come stuck,the vehicle may become immobile and serious transfer case damage may occur.

To relieve this situation,place the transmission in neutral,and jack up each end of the vehicle,one at a time,and allow the wheels to spin freely.This procedure will allow all driveline pressures to be relieved and the vehicle can be operated normally.

Ref:

·
Super Moderator
15,802 Posts
Is it safe to assume you were in 4WD on a hard surface? If you were, the problem is operator error, test again on a surface that allows for wheel slip.

·
Super Moderator
4,498 Posts
Is it safe to assume you were in 4WD on a hard surface? If you were, the problem is operator error, test again on a surface that allows for wheel slip.
Al long as you are going in a relatively straight line, its no problem and it should never pop out of 4wd because of it. Mine never ever did

·
Super Moderator
15,802 Posts
There are a couple more conditions that need to be met, like all four tires being the same size, and pressure - my GV has never jumped out of 4H either.

This was a problem during the early years of the GV, leading to a modification to the transfer case - two gears (or one gear and an engagement hub) were changed to correct the problem, your XL-7 would have had the later gears.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks- It wasn't a problem in the past on dry asphalt going up and down a steep
mountain. I'm in town now, no rain. Will try it on the weekend and get back.

·
Super Moderator
15,802 Posts
Thanks- It wasn't a problem in the past on dry asphalt going up and down a steep
mountain.
You're driving a part time 4WD, use of 4WD on a hard dry surface is a V.E.R.Y bad idea.

Reactions: Bob Again

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the late reply.
A few days ago I tried shifting from 2H to 4H on a wet road with some sand
and gravel and it was the same as on dry asphalt- jumped out of 4H with a bang after 5 seconds. Once I shifted into 4H from a dead stop and the other time at about 15 KPH. The owners manual says this 2H to 4H shift can be made at speeds up to 100 KPH and makes no mention of not engaging 4WD on dry roads. I appreciate that it is mechanically damaging to drive in 4WD when it is not necessary. I guess I need to go to the transmission shop ?

·
Super Moderator
18,985 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts