Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New post. Why does my 95 Tracker (150Kmi) Start making a gear clicking noise @ 30mph in 2WD, and the noise clunks to a stop as it decellerates just before stopping. Moves again silent, 'til 30mph, repeat performance. Attempts @ switching to 4WD, it seems OK 'til 30mph, then it pops outa 4WD into 2WD, and the click, grind, whatever stops and doesn't happen again until the vehicle has been idle for @ least 8hrs. Is it a CV joint? Locking Hub?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Or, pilot error... do not run 4x on dry roads...

..... Philip

·
Super Moderator
13,764 Posts
I'm going to guess at a transfer case problem - the 2H/4H selection is handled in the transfer case only, so anything that causes/allows it to go from 4H back to 2H will be transfer case.

·
Super Moderator
24,471 Posts
These cars are considered part time 4wd, and should never be driven with the transfer case in 4wd and the hubs locked, on any surface where one of the wheels cannot slip, like a dry road - it should be used on surfaces like snow, ice, sand, mud, etc. Have you driven your car in 4wd on dry surfaces?? This can cause transfer case 'wind up'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought it used. Already replaced the transfer case and the problem persists. Sounds like it's coming from the front diferential. I just want a clue to what to tear apart next and what to look for.

·
Super Moderator
13,764 Posts
A front diff problem can cause 4WD not to work, what it won't cause is a jump from 4WD to 2WD - if the lever is moving from 4H to 2H that IS the transfer case - please note - the noises may be an unrelated issue

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
Have you dumped sumps inspecting the gear oil drainings for debris?

Placed the vehicle on a lift, engaged 4WD and explored for the noise origination?

Did you verify tire sizes as suggested?

Verified for the same diff ratios fore and aft?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
New post. Why does my 95 Tracker (150Kmi) Start making a gear clicking noise @ 30mph in 2WD, and the noise clunks to a stop as it decellerates just before stopping. Moves again silent, 'til 30mph, repeat performance. Attempts @ switching to 4WD, it seems OK 'til 30mph, then it pops outa 4WD into 2WD, ...
This is something like the fifth time I read this post and a light came on....

If you separate out the 4x4 issue, it sounds like a speedometer cable just starting to go bad. Is the speed-o- meter needle holding steady? Keep an eye on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts