Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought my first samurai last friday to use in Arizona for desert running. The heater doesn't kick out much heat and last Feb I was in Arizona looking at houses and the water hose to my 5th wheel froze. In my studying of samurais' I've learned that poor heaters are a common problem. As it is with mine. Someone must have solved this problem and I sure could use some help. My wife's idea of roughing it is a chrysler 300c. If I want her to go with me in the samurai this problem has got to be solved for morning driving. Please help!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have u cleaned the debris out of the heater chamber above the core ?
U can see it if u take the ducts off the side of the chamber at tranny tunnel
level below the radio. R u sure the rad fluid is getting to the heater core. That switch in the heater hose has been known to freeze (corrode) seize closed. Goop,LPS,WD40 or other spray can sometimes free it up to move.
It is said that u might be able to get a vacuum hose into the chamber if u drill a hole with a hole saw just above the core...of course if u hit the core it is all over. The holesaw only needs to be vac/hose size. Cover with ducttape.
If u take the dash out to expose the heater, u can then vacuum the leaves and detritus out and reassemble. Worked for me. Before u take it all apart tho u might check to see that all the heater ductwork is connected to the outlets to the dash and defrost at the windshield.
If the fan is working then it will push some heated air into the cabin and to the w/s. The vents on the dashside near the mirror should push warm air.
If the fan is not working then little or no heat will arrive inside with u.
It is a Suzuki quirk that the fan switch will go south. The fan will usually be ok even when the switch has to be replaced.
The fan switch is common to most Suzuki vehicles near the age of urs. My donor switch came from a 3 cylinder car. Check the auto wreckers.
Cleaned the heater box, replaced the switch, loosened the fluid switch and good to go. Avoid taking the dash out if u can...it is time consuming work.
Get ur wife a good lined jacket for the Arizona cold and u will get kudos for both the heater and the heater(jacket) wink, wink, nudge, nudge !!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Arlo is right the only other thing I have seen is the doors and cables corroding and sticking. look under dash in center and move controls watch cables levers and doors for correct operation. I had to just manually set the doors for heat and some defrost that is all I use.^_^:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for getting back to me. i will try your suggestions and see if that fixes the problem. does anyone know if a heater from some other make or model could be adapted to work and really fix the problem? it appears that fixing the original samurai heater is a stopgap measure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My heater wasent working well because the cable that controls temp. is not atteched well at the valve and the cable housing slips not letting the valve open fully. I moved it manualy and heat comes out hot but only at the lower level my dash vents only blow cold air. Any Ideas Why?

·
Registered
88 Posts
drill 2" hole in heater box and blow/vacuum out debri. you will get over a pint of trash. you will have mucho heat. there is a writeup on zukikrawler

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Yup. Hot air is directed through the defroster vents up top and the lower outputs. Vents in the dash that point to the driver and passenger just push outside air and factory air.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
if you want to blow hot air directly in your face you can tap into the lower heat exchanger. The defroster shut-off door routs air to the two riser pipes that go up into the dash. unplugging those will let you direct air up your kilt, in your face, into the back seating area... wherever you want to run a duct. The drawback.. you don't have a defroster anymore.

·
Registered
100 Posts
if you want to blow hot air directly in your face you can tap into the lower heat exchanger. The defroster shut-off door routs air to the two riser pipes that go up into the dash. unplugging those will let you direct air up your kilt, in your face, into the back seating area... wherever you want to run a duct. The drawback.. you don't have a defroster anymore.
Thanks, But heck this is is California we dont realy need heat any how. Im just calling it good for now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i just did the " hole in side blow and vacum trick" I had to do an adjustment of the heater control cable right at the firewall where the valve lets in hot coolant in, the black plastic around my cable was broken so i had to pull a bit of slack and crimp down the clip a bit farther down and luckily it worked..that little heater worked like a champ..my friend with a 25k rhino is gonna be hating for sure with his wind chapped lips and frozen face..as im toasty in my sammy on a cold night..lol;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts