Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 SX4 SZ5 petrol 1.6l recently from a dealer that has its own garage. They gave us a three month warranty. The handbrake wouldn't hold on our steep hill. I took it back and they adjusted it so that the lever is now at a better angle and easier to apply fully but it's still not holding on steep slopes. Is this a common problem? They said this kind of brake material is a bit spongy, and generally didn't seem to take it very seriously. I'm now wondering what should be done so that I can take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it. It's only done 26,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
they will hold well facing down hill, not facing uphill. Which way is your one pointing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2013GV the problem is not how we park, but when we have to stop coming up the single track lane when we meet something coming downhill, and have to attempt a hill start on a very steep part of the lane, without a firm handbrake, so we're sliding backwards.

It doesn't hold any better - or worse - facing downhill.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
2013GV the problem is not how we park, but when we have to stop coming up the single track lane when we meet something coming downhill, and have to attempt a hill start on a very steep part of the lane, without a firm handbrake, so we're sliding backwards.

It doesn't hold any better - or worse - facing downhill.

Thanks
In that case, it hasn't been adjusted properly. The correct way (which many garages don't know) is to let the cable adjustment off at the hand brake lever, adjust the rear drums until they are grabbing, back off 2 clicks on the adjuster on each drum so they are just turning freely, then adjust the cable at the lever to give approx 5 clicks to fully on.

It will take a fair amount of effort to hold for a hill start but should hold effectively facing down hill.

As for the "spongy" material, it seems they are mistaking incorrectly adjusted brakes for the feel, as this will happen if they shoes and cables are not adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
838 Posts
SX4 handbrake acts mechanically on brake pads..the same that are acted on hydraulically by the brake pedal. Yes proper adjustment is capital but it can help applying the handbrake while brake pedal is also depressed.
Ours though works flawlessly...uphill and downhill.
By the way...can you specify where you live ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much, both of you. I live in Mid Wales, so plenty of hills.

I'll try your tip, LMP, then take it back to the garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts