Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Port and Polish

I just ordered a port and polish kit from Summit Racing. I will be doing a port and polish on both the intake and exhaust manifolds. I'm also going to see about porting the throttle body to help with air flow. I do need to see if anyone has a contact for getting a piston and rod. I need this so I can find pistons and rods to bump the compression up to 11.1. My goal is to have 200whp, With this and other bolt on's. I was told that if I polish the combustion side of the valve cover to a mirror finish that it will reflect most of the heat back to the combustion chamber. Thus giving me a cooler running engine with more power. With 11.1 compression I will have to run better fuel, So the fact that I have been running e85 for the past 6 tanks full with no problems I should do fine. The e85 is a home brew that my uncle makes, He uses it to drink I use to go. I will post pics on every step I take, I will also include pics of my screw up’s so you can do it correctly. Other bolt on’s will be the UD Pulley that kink sells, And cam gears from the GM Performance catalog. The muffler I’m going to swap out for a lighter one and mount it in place of the resonator. I have out grown the keg can mufflers.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Depending which model TB you have you probably won't have anything you can do to it... I think all forenzas/renos came with the better designed one. Also from what I've heard the exhaust mani isnt bad...but the intake mani is. Let us know how it goes, I've been meaning to port the intake mani for months.

What are these cams your talking about? Whatever they are I wouldn't think they're a direct fit...otherwise I know a few people that probably would have gone after them rather than some others. If you need cams I can get them, they are just expensive.

Also I'll look into higher compression piston and rod combo for you.

Danny

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cam gears might be a direct bolt on from what I can see. As per RML, They state the the WTCC Lacetti uses the Ecotec block and internals. But they get the top end from GMDAT. I'm not sur if he is talking about the top end that we have, So I will just compare the CAD drawings of the 2 to see if they are the same as they state. This is a link to the RML site. RML. I might go for the pistons and rods you P.M'd me about. Push come to shove I can always go with a thinner gasket to make up what I want to have. I did look at the exhaust manifold when I pulled the cat off. It's not bad, But some areas do need to be ground down to help the flow out. I have yet to look at the intake, But most cast intakes I have seen are rougher on the inside than the outside. Or I might just go with an idea I’ve had for a new intake manifold. I'm buying a new welder so I was thinking about trying to do a twin throttle body manifold using stock throttle bodies. I think I said this before in another thread. The one thing I can say about this engine is that it love to breath, Even if the ECU does not know it!!!!!!!!! Thank god I live in florida, We have no emissions inspections to deal with. But still the cam gear thing might be a waist of time, I will just have to see.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CAM GEARS.
The part numbers on the Reno and Forenza cam gears are the same as the Opel X20XEV Engine. Looking at a side profile of the Opel engine without the cam cover the cam gears look to be identical down bolts holding them on. I'm selling the civic "thank god" so i will be going down to the Chevy dealer on Friday. They have a set of adjustable cam gears for the X20XEV engine, If it fits then i will buy them and post the info. BTW, The cam cover is VERY brittle. It cracked in half, No big deal it looks better. P.S. The X20XEV engine i am referring to was used from 1995 to 2004 i think?????? I will post pics later from photobucket....

Intake cam- 90531683
Exhaust cam- 90411776

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
TTGOTH said:
CAM GEARS.
The part numbers on the Reno and Forenza cam gears are the same as the Opel X20XEV Engine. Looking at a side profile of the Opel engine without the cam cover the cam gears look to be identical down bolts holding them on. I'm selling the civic "thank god" so i will be going down to the Chevy dealer on Friday. They have a set of adjustable cam gears for the X20XEV engine, If it fits then i will buy them and post the info. BTW, The cam cover is VERY brittle. It cracked in half, No big deal it looks better. P.S. The X20XEV engine i am referring to was used from 1995 to 2004 i think?????? I will post pics later from photobucket....

Intake cam- 90531683
Exhaust cam- 90411776
Cool...make sure it has the signal pickup...our engine needs it to run well but will run without it...it just hesitates and doesnt do so well on higher rpms.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I can help you get all the parts you need too...I just need to know somehow your serious and you will actually buy them before I spend mcuh time on it. I've spent hours sourcing out parts for people that never buy either cuz they just realized they couldnt or they got in an accident.

I can probably find you different rods and pistons for even higher compression, but not as cheap as the ones I told you about, uprated springs, clutch, pressure plate, lightweight flywheel, lightweight drive axles, ect.... depends how far you wanna go with the car

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do want a better clutch, But i will wait till i kill this one. I do want to get the compression up to 11.1, So i might just have you find them. Until then i'm going to try and see if the crank, pistons, and rods are the same as in the Opel engine. What i will do if i do need you to get a part is send a deposit first. I have been burned by thousands on people backing out on orders, Thats the biggest reason i'm selling business.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
TTGOTH said:
I do want a better clutch, But i will wait till i kill this one. I do want to get the compression up to 11.1, So i might just have you find them. Until then i'm going to try and see if the crank, pistons, and rods are the same as in the Opel engine. What i will do if i do need you to get a part is send a deposit first. I have been burned by thousands on people backing out on orders, Thats the biggest reason i'm selling business.
Okay, but shipping on my clutch supplyier can take as long as 2months so dont wait till last minute.

I dont know so much about the compatabily of other models and whatnot but I know they all pretty much fit and you can use rods from one and pistons from another to try to get your desired effect.

Awesome, that'd help allot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, first post on the 'zuki forums, but I've dealt with a lot of other cars and performance stuffs. Polishing the valve cover will be a complete waste of your time. Assuming it wasn't already shiney to begin with (the bottom of every valve cover I've seen has been bare steel or aluminum) all your hard work is going to get covered in a layer of oil moments after you start the engine. Focus on the manifolds, or even better, get a header if you can. The intake a lot of people like to keep a little rough, it can add turbulance and surface area to help the fuel mix and evaporate respectively.

The summit porting kit is FTL (for teh loose!). Go on ebay and find yourself a set of carbide bits. I got a set of 8 that were nearly new for $10 + $5 shipping. Trust me, it's worth your while.

E85 is awesome fuel! Good luck on your project, it sounds like it's going to be sweet!

·
Registered
11 Posts
X D Yeah, polishing the combustion chamber (underside of the head I suppose) reduces areas for hot spots which help cause a nucleation site for detonation, I think. Google sing grooves, it could be fun to try! Be carefull up in there and use some spare valves so you don't nick up the seats. Don't use carbides up in there, it's easy to alter the shape and volume of the combustion chamber so that they are uneven. Just my $0.02

1 - 17 of 17 Posts