Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put new NGK plugs in this morning gapped at .028, it's running much smoother. I wonder if I will get any better gas mileage? This past gas tank I got 34.56 mpg, haven't gotten to 35 yet though. The plugs I took out were gapped at .062-.068 way off. They were old autolites.

I filled my gas tank yesterday, for some reason if I don't tighten it down very good the tracker stalls sometimes when at a light. Is it because of a vacuum? I tightened it up this morning and it's fine.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Where are you located? Presumably that 34 mpg is not in US gallons.....In any event, whether you will see an appreciable increase in gas mileage is probably doubtful, although certainly your car will run better - a gap of .06 is way too wide for this engine.
Also, your fuel system works off of pressure/vacuum - so that it's important to have the proper gas cap, and have it securely tightened on the car. However, it shouldn't stall with the gas cap loosely on, I wouldn't think, and would wonder if you don't have a problem with the EVAP system, like the purge solenoid or canister.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are you located? Presumably that 34 mpg is not in US gallons.....In any event, whether you will see an appreciable increase in gas mileage is probably doubtful, although certainly your car will run better - a gap of .06 is way too wide for this engine.
Also, your fuel system works off of pressure/vacuum - so that it's important to have the proper gas cap, and have it securely tightened on the car. However, it shouldn't stall with the gas cap loosely on, I wouldn't think, and would wonder if you don't have a problem with the EVAP system, like the purge solenoid or canister.
Thanks Bex for the reply. The 34 mpg is US, but I drive real slow and shift at 2500 rpm's most of the time, probably less than 2k in first. I got 290 miles on a little less than 8.4 gallons last time out. When I hear people only getting 22 or 23 I'm very surprised, must really be shifting much differently than I do. I have never gotten less than 30 mpg since I got it. I just got my 98 on the road I'll be interested in seeing how that one does for mileage.

My Silverado gets about 1 mpg better mileage here in Vegas than on the east coast, no explanation from me. The only thing I can think of is low humidity and a little higher elevation.

When I first got the tracker in Oct it stalled twice both right after filling the gas tank, then nothing for 3 months or so. The other day it did it 4 or 5 times, I got out and gave the cap a couple of turns and then it ran fine again 5 minutes later. I'll drive it today to see if it stalls again.

If it is one of those things you mentioned I'll have to check one by one. I'd appreciate any help you could give me, I don't have a clue to what any of them are. Can any of those things be cleaned out? Thanks, George

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Does the stalling basically happen after you have filled up the tank?? Do you top off? On these cars, you shouldn't. With an EVAP system, you can saturate the canister, etc.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the stalling basically happen after you have filled up the tank?? Do you top off? On these cars, you shouldn't. With an EVAP system, you can saturate the canister, etc.

Yes, it happens after I fill the tank and yes I give it an extra squirt maybe that's the problem? Hate to sound stupid but what is an EVAP system? I read all the post to learn a little bit every day, but until I have to work on some things like you guys have, I have no hands on experience at all.

The plugs and oil change are the only thing I've done so far, it's been running nicely with good mileage so I try not to mess with something that's working fine. I have learned my tinkering doesn't always end up the way I want it, lol.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My Silverado gets about 1 mpg better mileage here in Vegas than on the east coast, no explanation from me. The only thing I can think of is low humidity and a little higher elevation.
Could it be because there are NO Hills?

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
EVAP pretty simply explained halfway down this page:
Emission Control Systems | CarParts.com
Next time you fill up, stop when the pump stops and don't top up. Also, make sure that you have the proper gas cap, and that it is screwed on tightly. See if you still have the same problem.
Is your check engine light on with the car running? On your OBD2 car, if the EVAP problem is persistent, it should throw a code.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EVAP pretty simply explained halfway down this page:
Emission Control Systems | CarParts.com
Next time you fill up, stop when the pump stops and don't top up. Also, make sure that you have the proper gas cap, and that it is screwed on tightly. See if you still have the same problem.
Is your check engine light on with the car running? On your OBD2 car, if the EVAP problem is persistent, it should throw a code.
No engine light has ever been on while I'm driving, just on start up then it goes off. It has the same exact gas cap as the 98, I'd imagine it's the right one. Thanks for the EVAP article!

Won't be driving it today, 40mph winds worse last night, took my shed top off hit my rv probably did 4k in damage, ugg.

Thanks again, I'll update next time I drive the tracker.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's some fantastic gas mileage! I don't think I could get 290 miles out of 8.4 gallons if I went to work down hill both ways, with my 95 Tracker.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's some fantastic gas mileage! I don't think I could get 290 miles out of 8.4 gallons if I went to work down hill both ways, with my 95 Tracker.

If you drive as slow as I do you probably could, lol. I never go over 55 and that's down hill if I'm not paying attention. Most of the time I'm going 50 on the highway. Is the gearing the same on the 95 five speed? I think the last gear was slightly different on some years, but I'm not sure. Never been under 30 but I haven't hit 35 yet. It's not normal driving to most, but I've been trying to hit 35.

Usually takes two weeks to do about 300 miles or so, including in that is a 3-4 mile round trip on a dirt road up a small mountain in 4 wheel drive to watch the sunset over Vegas. We go up once every two weeks, If I cut that out I might get close to 35.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that one trip??? That would be at about 1 mph....;)
:D:D Still laughing at that one!

Looks like you were probably right about over filling the tank. It stalled once in the morning the day after I filled the tank and a few times the day of. It goes right to 800 now as soon as I take it out of gear, hasn't stalled once since then. So far so good, I'll make sure I don't top it off this time and I'll see what happens.

Update on gas mileage since I changed the plugs and put the right gap on the new ones. I usually get 170 miles by the time I get right to the middle of the half tank line. I'm at 165 and I have room before I get there, that's with driving a little more in the city and with the stalling problem at lights I had.

It looks like I might have gained something with the spark plug change, but I'll have to see next week when I fill it up again. I want that 35, the back seat is coming out next if I don't get there, lol
I also have a rear hitch and a front tow hitch I can get rid of if I have too.

Thanks Bex!

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Sadly, I find that while I can get to about 130 or so at the halfway mark on the gas gauge (driving at about 65-70mph), the gas gauge drops really fast on the 2nd half. Anyway, glad that you seem to have sorted your problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sadly, I find that while I can get to about 130 or so at the halfway mark on the gas gauge (driving at about 65-70mph), the gas gauge drops really fast on the 2nd half. Anyway, glad that you seem to have sorted your problem.

Hmm, It didn't stall at Idle for 5 days or so, now it did it 4 time when I stopped for lights today. No engine light stays on though, should I replace something?

I got 191 plus miles at the half way point, that is certainly my best yet. Like you, my gas gauge drops really fast on the second half of the tank. I'll have to wait another week to see how much I gained on my mpg. I'm starting to believe if we keep these little trucks under say 53 or so, we could get close to 37 mpg. I'm having fun trying!

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
When you say that no engine lights stays on, I'm assuming this means that the CEL flickers as the car is stalling - which it normally will do, as the ECU thinks that you're turning the car off.
While this may be a bit of 'old school' advice, I wonder if it's actually all the slow driving that you do that might be contributing to this - in the past, with carbs, you would want to rev them up to blow them, and the passages, out. So I wonder if your car needs to be really driven at high revs every once in a while to keep everything moving. Have you ever tried doing the stall test on your EGR valve? Pushing the valve forward while the car is idling, to see if the diaphragm snaps back strongly (as well as seeing if your car idle stumbles while the valve is pushed forward.) Presumably your stall is only happening as you are coming to a stop, rather than stumbling while you are actually driving? And when you come to a stop, if you used your foot to rev up the engine, can you prevent the stall??

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you say that no engine lights stays on, I'm assuming this means that the CEL flickers as the car is stalling - which it normally will do, as the ECU thinks that you're turning the car off.
While this may be a bit of 'old school' advice, I wonder if it's actually all the slow driving that you do that might be contributing to this - in the past, with carbs, you would want to rev them up to blow them, and the passages, out. So I wonder if your car needs to be really driven at high revs every once in a while to keep everything moving. Have you ever tried doing the stall test on your EGR valve? Pushing the valve forward while the car is idling, to see if the diaphragm snaps back strongly (as well as seeing if your car idle stumbles while the valve is pushed forward.) Presumably your stall is only happening as you are coming to a stop, rather than stumbling while you are actually driving? And when you come to a stop, if you used your foot to rev up the engine, can you prevent the stall??
Hey Bex:

Yes the light flickers when the car is shutting down. I can rev the engine to make it stop stalling but it's so quiet I rarely hear it stalling, many times I have the radio on.

You might have something there with the slow driving, but I have never heard of that before with other cars, but these are my first Trackers. I'll try the revving it up next time. It runs perfect and never tries to stall while shifting or just driving along, it only tries to stall why I'm in neutral.

Never tried doing a stall test on the EGR valve, didn't know I could. That sound like a good test, I'll try it today. It also never tries to stall when I first start driving, the rpm's stay up there. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
When you check the EGR, you'll see that the diaphragm rides on a spindle - when it is pushed forward, the EGR is open, which is its position often while the car is being driven (rather than just idling or at wide open throttle, when it is not operative). If you push the diaphragm forward (even with the car off) when you release it, the diaphragm should snap back very strongly to its rearward position (closed) on the spindle. It is possible that your EGR needs to be cleaned, in that the diaphragm is sticking in the forward position as you come to a stop. When you do the stall test, you are pushing the diaphragm forward while idling, and the car will stumble and try to stall. It would do this same thing if, when you are driving, you come to a stop but the diaphragm remains in the forward position. I think it's a good idea for you to remove the EGR, clean it thoroughly with carb cleaner (be careful about carb cleaner on the material of the diaphragm itself), so that all orifices are clear, and the diaphragm snaps back as it should.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, I have the EGR valve off, it looks pretty new, hardly any soot. The diaphragm works perfectly, snaps right back. Now I did notice the bolts were not on tight, I could have turned them off by hand. Wouldn't that effect the vacuum in a bad way? Would that have anything to do with the stalling? Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts