Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this may get a lil complicated..... I have a 98 sidekick 4x4 convertible.
I was originally a 2w, but when the former owners towed it from Fla, they forgot to unhook the drive shaft and tore up the transmission... the engine and had 57.000 original miles on it, ( now only 66,000 something.) When the man I know bought it, he fixed it and converted it to a 4x4 using the parts from a Chevy tracker.... I have owned it for a year now, keep it serviced etc... but a few weeks ago, it started making a grinding/rubbing noise in the front... off and on.... dont matter if its in 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive... it will go days and make no noise, then BAM, it will go days making it off an on again... I have had the u joints, wheel bearings, axles, hubs/lockouts, brakes all replaced and it still does it... 3 mechanics say they dont know what it is....ALSO, the reverse lights are not working... I replaced the bulbs and fuse...still dont work... IM FRUSTRATED AND GETTING BROKE!! can anyone give me more ideas of what I can do to fix this???:huh: thank you

·
Super Moderator
18,204 Posts
Does this noise occur during or just after 4WD use?:huh:
Did they replace both the front and rear axles in the conversion? My thought is that you have two different gear ratio differentials, resulting in drive-line binding and ruined components. A long shot, but worth considering.

What is the state of the differential gear oils? Any debris on a change?

But if three local hands-on Mechanics can't sort the noise issue, I'm not sure that we can help much from here. :(

On the reverse lights issue, you'd have to trace the wiring and look for power, breaks or a switch issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nah, it doesnt matter............. I hardly ever use the 4x4 it just makes the noise randomly ..... Im not sure if he replaced both axles tho....... how would I know for sure? Thank you for replying.... :) oh and oil is clear :)

·
Super Moderator
24,234 Posts
Nice call, Max!!
Aside from that possibility, I imagine that if any of your mechanics have a lift, when you are getting the noise, they can put the car on the lift and run it in various modes, having someone under the car to actually identify where the noise is coming from, rather than just replacing all possible parts.
Your reverse lights work off of a switch on the right side of the tranny, if auto, or on the top of the transfer case, if manual tranny. It's possible that the switch is disconnected or bad. They run off a yellow wire to the switch, then a red wire to the lights. The ground for the lights is behind the left rear tail light (a known rust area).

·
Registered
19 Posts
what about the dust/stone shield on the front breaks? rust, sand, rocks can get in there (even if they changed the parts) and cause what your describing. could be bent too. just a thought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
put a small jack in it and when it happens pull over and raise the wheel thats making noise and spin it and see what you can find out. being intermittent and all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys for the info.... Im going to have someone check it out again, but give them all of your advice......not all mechanics, but some, see a women walking in and well, lets just say, think we dont know alot about mechanics... I know quit a bit... but this is a stumper...! Thanks again.... I am glad I found this forum... alot of people in my rural area dont know much about Suzuki's....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts