Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i have a sj 413 which has been lifted 6 inches, the rear diff has slight play in it when you move the prop shaft. Can this be sorted by replacing the pinion seal? or is a new diff in order?
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Even when the backlash is set perfectly, you will still have play by the time movement gets to the driveshaft flange. I have been setting up these diffs for about 10 years now...

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
oh i see , what about if its leaking oil ?
thanks
Hehehe..
Different story. If it's leaking then it's time to replace the seal(s). If it has been driven for a while with that leak, make sure the oil hasn't been run too low - for too long. Chack the oil for metal powder/shavings. If you find some, then it may be time to rebuid the diff, remember that you might be looking at the original equipment and that's at least 20 years old.
Don't just replace it with a junkyard chunk... same age - same problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rear diff

Well i dropped the prop shaft off the rear diff and there is only slight play in it but when i turn it the movement causes it to rotate in and out of the diff when its wound in or out. is this normall?thanks

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
No, not normal. If the pinion nut is tight and pinion is still moving in and out, then it sounds like the bearings shot and probably falling apart inside. Time to rebuild the chunk!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
diff

if i were to un do the bolt on the rear of the diff would oil poor out? or should the level of the oil be up to the nut level?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
if i were to un do the bolt on the rear of the diff would oil poor out? or should the level of the oil be up to the nut level?
If the previous owner didn't overfill the diff, then you should see/feel the oil right up the the bottom of the filler hole (the bolt you asked about). If you just purchased the vehicle, then you may want to change the oil in the diff just in case. If you do, that gives you the perfect opportunity to check for shavings/fillings in the oil. It also gives you a chance to replace the oil and make sure there is the correct amount in there. Just fill it up until it starts to dribble back out the filler hole.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts