Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have already blown through one engine thanks to a pistion rod shooting out the side of my 1.3L. this one is about to do the same. i know i have to tighten it but how do i make sure it doesnt do it again after fixing it?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
which parts from the old engine did you swap over to the new one. That would be a good starting point to help determine why you threw the rod to begin with.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did it come unbolted from the crank or break off from the piston? The only thing you can do is maybe Red Loc-Tite and proper torque. How do you know it is about to happen again? Is this the same Sami that just died at a stoplight last week? What was the cause of that problem?

GIZMO

·
Registered
193 Posts
you cannot 'tighten' a connecting rod.. If you are throwing rods through the block you have some issues..
X2.
Connecting rods generally break for two reasons:
Excessive RPM
Big end bearing seizure from lack of lubrication/bearing problems.
You can replace the big-end bearings preventatively, but getting the exact proper torque on the connecting rod bolts is one of the most demanding, precision torquing jobs in all of engine work. Head bolt torquing is a close second. Re-using already used big-end bolts complicates the matter, as they are often stretched just past their elastic limit during (the original) installation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts