Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my stock 1.3l has had a tendency to throw a piston rod out the side of the engine block. this time i was lucky enough to stop before that happend. are these engines known for that?

another question, would a 2.4L fuel injected jeep engine fit in the samurai? and would the jeep trans fit as well or do they make an adapter so you can still use the stock trans?

·
Super Moderator
12,189 Posts
No they're not - and since you say yours "has had a tendency", I have to assume it's happened more than once.

The only time I've seen one of these throw a rod it was a race engine on which the engine builder took a phone call whilst assembling the bottom end and forgot to torque the rod bolts (as a result of which he will no longer take phone calls whilst working).

I'm curious - were any parts re-used in between engines? Were the engines new, was the first one the original? What oil were you running?

Just trying to see if there is a common factor between the failures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the first time it happened it was the origanal engine. the only part i kept from it was the valve cover which made its way on to my current engine. the engine i replaced it with was a used engine and before i put it in i went through and retorqued and tightened everything to specs. and for both engines i was running 20w-50 oil which was making it run smoother.

·
Super Moderator
12,189 Posts
Well - I don't see the valve cover as a potential cause of a thrown rod.

Which rod was it? Same one on both engines?

I don't quite like the sound of 20w50 making things run smoother - there may have been other issues (perhaps excessive bearing clearance), the recommended oil in these engines for most applications is a 10w30, going down to a 0w30 for cold climates, and a 10w40 for hot ones.

I'm in the tropics and see "summer" weather all year round and I'd never run a 20w50 in one of these.

Edit.

Do you know the history of the original engine (have you had it from new ?) If I recall correctly there is an oil passage from the front main bearing to the head, and there should be a restrictor in the head and I believe if it's not there you can get low oil pressure on the front main which can then lead to low oil pressure on the #1 rod - I haven't experienced this personally, but I've been told about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts