Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there

Just a question for anyone who might know.

I had some lifter ticking which would come and go until i added some lifter cleaner to the oil.
Since that sound went away i have been hearing this odd sound.

Now keep in mind, i'm learning to do my own repairs, and this is a new sound to me.

Thanks,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80RSPW2Anbo&feature=youtu.be

Edit: it's a 2.0 4cyl in a 2002 tracker

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
Hmmm. Tough one. Could be timing chain slap (worn / loose), possibly an accessory or still in the top end (valves).

Get one of these and try and ID the area.

You could also remove the accessory drive belt for a moment and see if the noise dissipates to narrow down the source.

What weight oil are you using? Should be 5W-30.

Welcome aboard too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Yeah, i am using 5w-30.

The valve cover was leaking when i got it, and i'm sure it burns a bit of oil. I flushed it and replaced the 3.5 liters with the required 5.2 liters of 5-W30. Seems to be coming from the back end towards the firewall. I'll try to get my hands on a steth and see exactly where it might be coming from.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to a shop which confirmed the ticking on start up was indeed a sticky lifter. The sound that i recorded in the video they were unable to identify even when taking off the valve cover. Everything seemed tight underneath they said. The chain was a tad worn, but the guards were still in place.

They suggested i just run the vehicle until it gets worse. The one mechanic said he has run his truck over 200k on a noisy lifter.

Still going to try to track down the noise in the video.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Something I did with my V6 when I first acquired it, was to change the oil, oil filter and added about 3/4 of a can of seafoam to top off the oil. Now doing this, it must be understood, that the truck MUST NOT be driven hard!!!! The seafoam acts as a cleaner to your internal parts. If there is a lot of sludge build up, it could help to loosen up the possible sticky lifter. With mine, after I added the seafoam, I went on a nice long scenic drive. NO quick starts or high revs, just a leisurely drive for about 45 miles. Changed the oil and filter again to get the seafoam out, drove it for about a week, and changed the oil and filter again. The reason for the quick change was to make sure I didn't clog the filter if a bunch of crap was knocked loose by the seafoam. Straight Diesel will do the exact same thing, and actually has BETTER lubricating properties. If done correctly, it could fix your problems.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
13,770 Posts
Just a suggestion - one that I believe entails a lot less risk - switch to a high detergent oil. I've been running one of my cars on a 15w40 "all fleet oil" - it's a CF/SM rated oil, so suitable for both diesel & gasoline engines - diesel engine oils, because of the nature of a diesel engine, have higher levels of detergent additives, and will hold more soot in suspension.

If you have a concern on the oil weight, check your owners manual, mine allows a 20w50 under all but the coldest of conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts