Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Having nothing to do with ATs and their fluids do you know where you would buy one of those little plastic things that stop the drivers side mat from slipping forward under the accelerator ?
a little plastic thing shop?
try a carpet place. I have seen some plastic teeth that you can attach to mats with a couple of stitches that grip the underlying carpet but have never tried them.

I have no idea what items you actually mean. I have had rubber mats in mine that ride forward, twist and do things rubber mats have no right to do. I have tried velcro with some success but keeping it attached to the mats is the biggest issue. Never bothered with the "plastic" teeth things. The mats I have now don't move much day to day, and about every week to 10 days i just twist them back straight. Never had them ride forwards, just rotate due to me screwing them with my feet as i get in and out.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have spent a bit of money trying to find useful mats for the GV and the RAV4. The RAV4 is almost impossible because the drivers side floor has two annoying lumps in it. The mats for the GV came from Repco. I wasn't interested in the deep dish type (SCA) since I aren't intending to go swimming in them. Generic mats designed to fit a range of vehicles just don't. The Chinese manfs of these have no idea and are years behind in making mats that fit current SUVs. I am presuming that the clip is a Suzuki product in the GV since it is stopping the Suzuki branded mats from moving. Apparently this is a big deal as accidents have been caused by mats sliding under the accelerator and jamming it. I would like a Suzuki one because my grommets happen to fit it rather well.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
ahh, yep, thats the factory fitted Suzuki mat retainer. Don't know if anythings available aftermarket, but you could give Hollands a call during the week and see how much a genuine one is. Then once you have recovered from the price shock, start looking for alternatives. My mats won't fit the clips as I still have the genuine OEM mats in there under the rubber ones, I found the noise level was significantly higher with them missing.
My mats are from supercheap, plain flat universals and actually fit the floor cavity quite well. I'll get a pic later in the day when I get the thing out of the garage, the dogs have demanded a trip to the beach.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No need to worry about Hollands sticker price for the mat clip. They are only available if you purchase a set of mats.
Interesting re noise level. If there was a change with mine it wasn't much. I will shove them back in again and recheck if a noise change. Most replacement/alternative mats say to always remove the original mats first but that may be so you can reuse the mat clip to hold the new mats - and stop them from jamming under the accelerator pedal. I have yet to see anyone bother doing this even apart from the fact that the generic mats never have holes suitable for the mat clip. Another bit of CYA. I just took mine out to preserve them (although still trying to work out what for).

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
hmm, Interesting. both mine came with the clips fitted, the brand spanker 2015 had the limited floor mats, the 2013 had no genuine mats but had the mat clips.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Maybe the mat clips were there from previous mats ? I would imagine that if the mats had been discarded (for whatever reason) the previous owner probably wouldn't have bothered removing the hooks.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Several yrs ago, in a fit about the constant movement, I hauled out the cordless drill driver and installed a couple of self tapping screws through the mat... they finally wore out before moving again...

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I had though about doing something like that. I have also seen RAV4 clips available on ebay/Amazon (and my wife has one) so I might see if they can be adapted. One of the worlds mysteries is why the dimples or studs added into car mats to stop them from moving actually don't.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
One of the worlds mysteries is why the dimples or studs added into car mats to stop them from moving actually don't.
solve that one and you will be a rich man. (or woman)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts