Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried one of these Performance header, is it worth it, does it help with HP and MPG??

Thanks Guys!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm running a Doug Thorely header. Does it add HP????? Maybe a bit. I't more of a seat of the pants thing. It just feels like it rev's a bit higher. As for fuel economy, I really couldn't say. I've nevered check it out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i am running the stock manifold, and i see the performance header for sale pretty much everywere and claim to to add up to 15% more HP and from my understanding the more air you can get to an engine can get to more power as well as a better running motor and it seems like you would get better gas milage too!

Thanks for your replay JPR, maybe some else out there has hade some experince out there!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I don't have any numbers for you, but adding a header is only the first step. In order to let the motor fully appreciate the additional exhaust flow you have to change two more things.

You need to replace the stock exhaust system (that stock excuse for an exhaust is comical) by going up to a 2" tube. Trail Tough has a bolt in replacement that is designed to work with the Thorley. Going any larger would start to take away anything gained because of lack of back pressure.

You will also have to flow more air through the intake. You could start by changing the stock air filter to a K&N replacement. Or you could go with something a bit more involved by changing the carb setup (How can it flow more exhaust without more air/fuel coming into the motor in the first place?).

So for the short answer, no. Just adding a header won't help anything but the sound.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
As for the 'Performance Header' you mention, if it the one found on Ebay all the time, this is the Pacesetter header. It is a good header, but designed a little different and will not work with the Trail Tough exhaust. It is best to have a muffler shop build you an exhaust system of of it (much longer tubes). This one is also just painted, not coated with a finish, so it is more prone to rust.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Here is what's on there, weber carb with K&N air filter, got a 2" exhaust system with an flo master muffler! This is the header i am looking at!

NEW Suzuki Samurai Performance Header 1.3 Hard Soft Top - Samurai Parts
Yup, that is the Pacesetter. I have one in the garage. With the setup you have it will definately allow the gasses to flow better. The longer tubes are supposed to get you more top end, while a Thorley (shorter tubes) would get you more low end torque.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok that sounds like it would be good to instal this head, what about the sound do you know will this header make it louder! It seems like it would help with gas milage too, i don't know??

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
It will sound a bit beefier... I really like the sound of mine. The mileage will really be decided by how much the sound adjusts your right foot.
An engine is just a big air pump. Air/fuel goes in and is forced through the system by explosive accelleration, then ejected through the tailpipe. The engine will be able to flow the gasses much more efficiently.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have a 1.6 vitara and have put a chrome k&n filter straight on top of the carby (as in pic), i have recently bought a set of performance extractors and am changing the exhaust system to 2inch. What sort of muffler should i consider putting on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts