Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

Hi lads, looking to get some advice on a problem I’m having with my escudo/vitara. As shown in the photo I’ve two hoses labelled one PCV and the other I’m not sure of (hoping someone can tell me if I’m correct in saying that is the PCV and not the one labelled with the question mark). Anyway when the hose labelled PCV is connected between the rocker cover and the EPI the engine idles somewhere between 1500-2000 rpm and as soon as the hose is pulled out from the rocker cover the engine dies. Currently I’ve the hose plugged with a bolt and the engine idles a lot better down around the 900-1000 rpm mark but still not perfect. Just from what I’ve been reading I think it may be a problem with PCV value (dirty etc), however I can’t seem to locate the PCV valve, I can’t see it at the rocker cover side or the EPI side. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Aidan

· Super Moderator
27,351 Posts
Yes, that hose that you’ve labeled PCV is correct, that is the hose for the PCV valve. The other hose is fresh air for the PCV circuit. Note that the jubilee clips in the PCV hose you show are not factory, so it appears that someone has been in there before you. This photo may help:
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Gas Auto part Nut

Reactions: 281130

· Administrator
19,885 Posts
I can’t seem to locate the PCV valve, I can’t see it at the rocker cover side or the EPI side. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Aidan
The PCV valve should be in the rocker cover with the hose you have labeled PVC attached to it - kind of hard to miss, if it's actually there -

Font Fixture Composite material Engineering Circuit component

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bex for confirming that for me and clearing up what the other hose is! That photo helps a lot. That’s where I thought it would fordem but when I looked at the rocker cover there was no sign of a PCV value or anywhere a PCV value could go! See photo. All there is, is a basic hose fitting.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Gas

· Administrator
19,885 Posts
No - I've been puzzled by that.

My suspicion is that the vehicle is an Escudo rather than a Vitara, but when I look at the Escudo parts listings, they seem to show the PCV in the same location. I don't know someone removed the valve and welded a barb in it's place, but the cylinder head cover doesn't look like any welding has been done. Usually there's a hole with a rubber grommet that the PCV snaps into.

· Registered
4,573 Posts
I don't know if this will help or not, but the photo is a valve cover from an imported JDM engine I purchased approximately 15 years ago for install in a '95 Geo Tracker. I sold the valve cover on ebay about 8 years ago. Appears to be the same nipple, in place of a North American PCV valve and grommet. The nipple is pressed in. The engine is still running fine with transplanted intake, distributor, and wiring. If I can find any photos of the valve cover in situ on the JDM engine, I'll post.

Attachments

· Administrator
19,885 Posts
That is a help, would you by any chance know where the PVC valve was on that engine? Suzescudo, PM me the VIN let me see what I can find out

· Registered
4,573 Posts
I'm sorry, I do not. If I had any photos of the JDM engine, they would probably been saved to an old computer hard drive about 3 computers ago. As time allows, if they exist, I will try to hunt them down.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

My suspicion is that the vehicle is an Escudo rather than a Vitara, but when I look at the Escudo parts listings, they seem to show the PCV in the same location. I don't know someone removed the valve and welded a barb in it's place, but the cylinder head cover doesn't look like any welding has been done. Usually there's a hole with a rubber grommet that the PCV snaps into.
yep it’s definitely an escudo, the JDM spec with the G16A 16Valve engine (which I think is the same as the G16b e

Yep it’s definitely an escudo! I know the engine was swapped but as far as I’m aware it was swapped for another Japanese spec G16A 16V, (G16A is written on the block and the value cover says 16V, see photo). Would all engines have to have some sort of PCV value or regulator? Is it possible that this just doesn’t have one?. Or possibly that value cover isn’t an original for that engine?
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Car Vehicle Gas

Attachments

· Registered
4,573 Posts
Yes, it was from a JDM engine (imported from Japan, but, don't know what vehicle it came out of) I purchased years ago. Still trying to find if I have any photos of it.

· Super Moderator
27,351 Posts
So then perhaps we should rethink this issue, assuming that the JDM does not have a PCV. The original issue is that when this vacuum hose Is connected, the engine runs at about 1500 to 2000 rpm, and when plugged, the idle drops to approximate factory spec (Although you advise ‘still not perfect…..what does that mean??) That would normally indicate a vacuum leak somewhere in that circuit. Again, it would appear that this hose has been replaced or removed at some point, as those jubilee clips are not factory. Should we not be looking for a vacuum leak somewhere in that circuit?
And just curious, did the engine always run with such a high idle, and if not, when (or what was done) did this start??

· Super Moderator
27,351 Posts
The the mystery becomes Ranger’s JDM engine, which appears to have the same set up (or could be the same engine??? Now that would be weird….)

· Administrator
19,885 Posts
The challenge, at least for me, is to identify which vehicle the engine came out of - if I can do that, I might be able to find where the PCV valve was on that vehicle - all we know is that both Ranger's engine AND the engine in Suzescudo's car are JDM - the right angled distributor indicates it's probably an Escudo, but what year? I don't feel like searching through a dozen parts catalogs, and that assumes that the cover came on the engine.

· Super Moderator
27,351 Posts
OK, just out of curiosity, I started googling around. I come across a Subaru JDM thread, where the guy wants to change the existing JDM PCV to a US one. From the photo, I cannot tell if the location is the same. He finds that the housing is different, and needs to change the housing to adopt to a US PCV.
Is it possible that this type of housing is what is used in all of the JDM engines? That if you have access to a JDM catalog, it will show the differing PCV? That perhaps the PCV was removed as it was impossible to find a replacement in the US??

· Administrator
19,885 Posts
Font Auto part Engineering Circle Drawing

Based on this diagram (which is a 90/91 Escudo) - the PCV Valve could be #29 located on the cam cover side of things - or - #25 located on the intake manifold side of things.

Liquid Font Office supplies Electric blue Window

This is the PCV valve if it's on the intake manifold.

Font Auto part Gas Electronics accessory Transparency

This is the PCV valve if it's on the cam cover.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So then perhaps we should rethink this issue, assuming that the JDM does not have a PCV. The original issue is that when this vacuum hose Is connected, the engine runs at about 1500 to 2000 rpm, and when plugged, the idle drops to approximate factory spec (Although you advise ‘still not perfect…..what does that mean??) That would normally indicate a vacuum leak somewhere in that circuit. Again, it would appear that this hose has been replaced or removed at some point, as those jubilee clips are not factory. Should we not be looking for a vacuum leak somewhere in that circuit?
And just curious, did the engine always run with such a high idle, and if not, when (or what was done) did this start??
Originally my friends and I did think it could be a vacuum leak possibly the value cover seal or gasket and it’s not been ruled out yet. Then I learned more about the PCV value etc and thought maybe it could be that as the symptoms of a bad PCV value sounded very similar to what was happening with my engine and would be an easy fix. Although the jubilee clips aren’t original they’ve definitely been tightened enough around those barbs to ensure there was no air leaks when we were investigating the problem. The problem was there when I bought the vehicle and the previous owner couldn’t figure out the problem.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The challenge, at least for me, is to identify which vehicle the engine came out of - if I can do that, I might be able to find where the PCV valve was on that vehicle - all we know is that both Ranger's engine AND the engine in Suzescudo's car are JDM - the right angled distributor indicates it's probably an Escudo, but what year? I don't feel like searching through a dozen parts catalogs, and that assumes that the cover came on the engine.
I might be able to identify the vehicle and the year as a friend on mine knows the person who sold the engine to the previous owner. I’ll get back to you when I hear from him. Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me. Much appreciated!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts