Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the premise behind the passenger air bag deactivating when a small passenger is in the front seat. However, when my wife is in that seat the light comes on and goes off sporadically.
The Suzuki dealer says that it is designed to deactivate for passengers under 140 lbs.
That sounds like hogwash. First of all, she is about 115 so it should be on all the time if they are right.
I think that the sensor is probably set for around 85 and it is off calibration a bit.
Anyone else seeing this problem?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven't had any problem yet, wife weighs about 125 lb. If you haven't read the owner's manual, take a look because I remember reading something about it in there, just can't remember the details right now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did look at it and no where does it mention a weight. It says if a adult size person is in the seat and the light comes on it might be because they are not sitting properly in the seat.
It usually comes on right away and she will then kind of pull herself up and plop back down at it goes out and stays out.
I think the sensor is bad but the dealer is being a jerk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think you are probably right. I'm pretty sure the manual also had a warning that stuffing cargo under the seat is a no-no, but you probably already knew that. I haven't driven mine for awhile, but will definitely let you know if we see anything similar. We will be visiting our teenage grandaughter soon and may take her for a ride to see if the warning light does anything out of the ordinary. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am having the same problem when my daughter sits in the seat, she is over 100lbs. It goes on and off. Sounds like a bad sensor to me. I would think that at 100lbs it should be on. Not 140.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call American Suzuki and complain, get a case number and make them fix it.
They agreed to replace the bottom seat cushion for me. It is on order. Probably be here by this time next year.
Point out to Suzuki that the manual says the light should go out for a "adult size person". If you were in an accident and the light was on and the bag didn't deploy, Suzuki would be at risk for a lawsuit.

·
Registered
282 Posts
From Suzuki Technical Services: Note that these weight specs are for Forenza/Reno, I have not found specs for the SX4 yet...

The passenger sensing system is designed to turn OFF the right front passenger’s
frontal air bag and side air bag when the weight on the front seat is 25.6 kg (56.4
lbs) or less. The air bag should be turned OFF and the “Passenger Air Bag Off”
light should be ON in the following situations.
• The right front passenger seat is unoccupied.
• The system determines that an infant or a small child is present in the right front
passenger seat.
• A right front passenger takes his/her weight off of the seat for a period of time.
NOTE:
If a person of adult-size is sitting in the right front passenger’s seat, but the
“Passenger Air Bag Off” indicator is ON, it could be because that person is not
sitting properly in the seat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
SuzukiDon said:
NOTE:
If a person of adult-size is sitting in the right front passenger’s seat, but the
“Passenger Air Bag Off” indicator is ON, it could be because that person is not
sitting properly in the seat.
I love this one, so there is a right and wrong way to sit in the passenger seat according to Suzuki.:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
air bag light

had the same issue i'm on my second seat sensor. good luck it took 2 weeks for each time to get it ordered in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The passenger airbag light does this to my car too sometimes - when I have a package sitting on it was expected BUT when my wife is in it too? This is unreal - she has to shift around a bit to make it go out. I wonder what would happen in an accident - the passenger gets slid around a bit and deactivates it and then the bag will not deploy when needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having trouble with my airbag light going on when I have a 15-20# bag resting on the passenger seat if it is located close to the back of the seat. I imagine this is where the sensor rests - near the seat back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This whole air bag thing worries me too. What happens in an accident if you shift a little? Will the airbog not deploy? That sounds like a law suit waiting to happen. Suzuki needs to get this thing figured out. It goes out when someone weighing 100+ lbs is sitting in the seat. My thoughts, the sensor is not located in the proper place. I haven't even took it in because from what I read replacing the sensor does not fix the issue. Do I hear recall :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
just for the record the weight cut-off is under 70lbs and thats from a suzuki rep. there is a problem with the passenger airbag off light eing on when someone of proper weight sits in the seat, one thing is definate if you have the seat all the way back and are sleeping or slouching with out your weight on the sensor, the light will not go out, other then that take it to your suzuki dealer but make sure the light is on when someone is sitting in the seat and dont turn the car off or let the person get out of the seat, let the service advisor see the problem for him/herself, otherwise you'll be brushed off like a bag o poo. trust me i kno i was a service advisor and i would have to do it to customers, if the technicians cant verify it, they cant fix it. just remember that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problems with pass airbag light coming on

I have had the same thing happen in my car. I have taken it to the dealer where we bought it like 2 or 3 times and they state "no codes and cant duplicate sorry".:mad: Called the Suzuki Corp main number in the book and they tell me get a "second opinion" go to another dealer. So we do they tell us that they found some tech bulletin that tells then to replace the seat cushion that has sensor in it, may take two weeks to two months for part. They put us in rental, part comes in one week. Have it home for a few days and it starts happening again. We make appointment with dealership to take it back in they the same story starts again "no codes and cant duplicate sorry".:mad: Called the Suzuki Corp main number again and they tell me that when light comes on that I should have my wife sit in back seat:confused: I have 3 kids, me and my wife should I make her walk home, as I have no more room. I have had enough, I called the Texas Department Of Transportation and will be getting some info on Lemon Laws In Texas and what I need to do.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sx4 Lemon

im sorry that your car has not worked out for you, but please keep us posted on how the lemon law thing works out for you. it is one of those things that you know is out there, but until you need it you have no experience - so please share your experience with the rest of us, if you'd like start a new thread.

sincerely
mule

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same problem

I live in the Chicago, IL area. Shortly after, I bought my 2008 SX4 Crossover, the "passenger air bag off" light started to come on whenever my wife or any other adult sits in the passenger sit. The light comes on and off intermittently whenever an adult sits in the passenger sit. Sometimes it comes on and stays on until we get to our destination and I turn the key off. Sometime it comes on and goes off while we are still driving. These are adults who weigh more than 140 pounds. I took it to the dealer yesterday for its first 3000 mile service and informed the service advisor of the problem. They came back and told me that they were not able to recreate the problem and that everything is fine. Even though I insisted they do a through testing they informed me that they could do nothing. We finally agreed that I should bring the car while the problem is manifesting itself for them to see it. That same evening my wife and I had to go out and as luck would have it, the light started to come on again. But by that time the dealership was closed already. I am planning to contact Suzuki to inform them of the problem. But from reading the forum here, I do not think changing just the sit cushion will solve the problem. I will also take it back to the dealer soon...hopefully while the light is still on. I think this could be a systemic problem that needs to be addressed by Suzuki as soon as possible...before the law suites start coming. I am also thinking of writng the Insurance Highway Safety Institiute along with a copy of this section of the forum to have them pressure Suzuki into acting. I encourage everybody here with the same problem to do the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the 2008 SX4 sedan sport touring addition. I have only had a passenger 2 times and the light hasn't been on. My passenger probably weighs 145. But I have had packages maybe weighing 20 pounds and the seat belt/airbag light goes on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts