Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is getting old very quickly. I bought my first Suzuki in Jan. It is an 2002 XL Limited. Less than one month, an O2 sensor goes out, $130.00 later and many frustrating hours trying to get it in life is good. The weather finally warms up and the AC doesn't work. After some troubleshooting, it is the compressor. The previous owner said it worked fine. Either it died, or he lied. $400.00 later and fortunately a coworker has a reclaimer to suck out the 134a and put it back. Life is good again. On the way to town today my service engine soon light comes on again. An EGR valve is $235.00. Common give me a break! I replaced one on my Saturn SL 2002 a year ago and it was only $50 something dollars, maybe $80. but $235.00

Does anyone know of a place that sells quality parts at a reasonable price? I paid $3,500 for this car with 173,000 miles. It now has 175,000 miles and by the time I'm done I will have put $1,000 in parts in it. Good thing I'm a mechanic because if I were paying for all this at $50.00 / hour I would sell it and go buy a Toyota. I've owned them for years and NEVER had to put this much $$ in one except for tires, oil, filters and brake parts. I've also put a tow bar on it, and the CD player kicks up an Er 6 message, which means the CD is in upside down. I've tried it both ways and it does the same thing either way.

I rides nice, works great in the snow, but I can not afford to keep putting big bucks into this car.

Frustrated in Missouri!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
It is a fourteen year old car that you just bought secondhand!

Being a mechanic you'd realise that O2 sensors have a limited life on all vehicles (yes, even Toyota O2 sensors die! :D) Aircon systems on all older vehicles also leak and require servicing.

Do a search on the EGR issue- the info you require is on here. ;)

PS: Do yourself a favour and buy a new head unit. Once again, it's 14yo and well past it's use-by date. Or listen to the radio. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Murcod,

Thanks for the reply. It's not the parts breaking that bothers so much as the PRICE! I expected things to break on it being 12 years old. But why are the parts 2 to 3 times higher than other brands? and is there some place (I'm dreaming here) that has better prices?

BTW: I'm an airplane mechanic, no O2 sensors, or EGR valves, at least no on the planes I've worked on. Newer planes may have them, but the older ones did not.:D

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sorry, I meant to post 12yrs old - not 14! I assumed when you said "mechanic" that you worked on vehicles- this being a vehicle forum and all. ;)

Did you search for the EGR valve info? I'm pretty sure people have cleaned the old one with success.

You don't need to buy genuine Suzuki parts, but sometimes checking and comparing to aftermarket is worthwhile. Go to RockAuto Parts Catalog and O2 sensors start at US$40. Their EGR valves are still up there (US$223), but find that thread and try cleaning it first. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Murcod,

THANKS! I went on a trip with my XL7 today pulling a trailer and carrying 6 people. Some where on the trip the Service Engine Soon light has gone out. I replaced the O2 some time ago. But this link you've provide will come in handy if cleaning the EGR doesn't cure the problem. I'm sure at some point the code may pop up again, and I will clean it then.

Again, Thank you!
Don

·
Registered
281 Posts
6 People... How... I can manage 4 people in mine.. cause the rear most seats you either have to slender 5 year olds or pygmies to use them.. I ripped my rear most seats out in the end.. gained a much larger and useable boot.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I'm over 6ft and can fit in the rear of our XL-7 (obviously the centre row needs to be slid forward a bit). There's a proper footwell in the rear- unlike quite a few other "7" seaters.

Good luck Don. Something to keep in mind is your other O2 sensors (sounds like you may only have replaced one?) will also be dieing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Magnat,

Well, my grand daughter is sitting back there, she is 4 and in her booster. I sat beside her for 2 hours, then my son has sat back there and he is a couple of inches taller than I am. I'm 5'9" and 180 lbs. Not the most comfortable, but you scoot the middle seat forward, and lay the back down, climb in, and then put the seat back, it is doable. We stop every 2 hours and get out and stretch our legs. My daughter who is 4' 8" and 100 lbs rides back there a lot. She likes it cause she can curl up and go to sleep.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm over 6ft and can fit in the rear of our XL-7 (obviously the centre row needs to be slid forward a bit). There's a proper footwell in the rear- unlike quite a few other "7" seaters.

Good luck Don. Something to keep in mind is your other O2 sensors (sounds like you may only have replaced one?) will also be dieing.
My other O2s will be dieing! NOOOOOO!!!! LOL!;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back from a trip with my XL7 pulling a trailer. We averaged around 15 MPG going down empty, and 14.5 MPG on the way back loaded. We had 6 people, 4 adults, 1 teen and a 4 year old. It was a nice trip. The interesting part is the Service Engine Soon light, never came back on. I'm happy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Future Same Boat?

Yeah, this whole parts issue was just on my mind. I just bought my 2002 xl7 with 52k on it and what with all the dealers being gone now....

I wonder what original parts I might need to look at buying and putting back. I mean things like door handles and window motors. Things I can't buy from regular suppliers.

Anybody know, right off the top of their heads, things that wear out kind of easily/soon on these?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Door central locking motors can die (there are workarounds.) The rear door handles can break (just be gentle - ours hasn't broken yet!) The central locking switch (lock/ unlock) on the driver's door panel died on ours. The radiator cap rubber seal split. That's all we've had fail in 7 years of ownership.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Impressive, indeed. 7 years is quite a long time. The 98 Honda Accord I just replaced had very little go wrong with it in the 12 years we owned it. Hoping to get similar longevity.

Heck, I gave that car to my Mom and she uses it for work. Still going.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts