Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Does anyone have an idea on how much a paint job on a sammy would run me? Average?
Hi,
Depends on the shape the body is in and how nice you want it to look.
Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's going to depend on a couple of factors.

• The shop. How willing are they to cut corners. A good shop won't agree to ignore rust in any way. Will cutting corners save you money? Of course. And up front your wallet will appreciate that. But it will only be a matter of time before it bites you in the ass.
  • The paint. You would be surprised by the massive spread in paint costs. I've ordered paint that was as much as $400 a PINT. I've also used paint that is about $30 a gallon. In other words, materials make a huge difference.
DO NOT GO TO MAACO or similar kinds of companies! Sure, you might pay less than $1000, but you will NOT be happy with the results. I can't tell you how many MAACO fixes I've done!

If you really want to save some money, request single stage paint. It isn't quite as shiny as the regular base coat / clear coat (2 stage). But you can't tell unless you have it sitting side by side with a vehicle with the exact same color in 2 stage.

But a break down for you just for example.
Figure about 3 quarts sprayable primer. roughly $100 per primer quart with hardner. Depending on the brand, your mix ratio could be 2:1, 4:1... So figure two quarts on average.
Same with sealer.

Paint....as mentioned, this is going to vary.

Clear coat. I would figure $400 for clear. It's cheaper to buy it by the gallon.

Then figure sand paper costs, filters, reducer, thinner/cleaner, and misc. costs.

So when I have people approach me, my initial answer to them is to figure at LEAST $600 for materials.

Labor is going to vary as well. Some shops really try to gouge you on labor. So definitely shop around and ASK what their shop rate is.
I've seen as much as $110 per hour.

You should figure starting at probably $3000 total. My advice to you is to find a local hobby painter. There are countless people out there that do it on the side because they love to do it. Like myself. I have converted my 3rd car garage into a full blown booth complete with air filtration. You don't need to have a $60K booth to put out quality product. It might be easier, yes, and if you are dealing in volume, then it's a must. But for doing "random" jobs, it's not required.
Look on Craigslist, I guarantee you will find people advertising. Just ask to see some pictures of their work. Maybe even ask to talk to previous customers. Ask to look at their shop.
You should be able to save some good coin going this route. But just realize that unlike the shop that has a full crew of 5-8 people going crazy on your Zuk, it's going to be a one man band, so it will take a little longer.

Also, going back to paint color (2 stage). Look into "refinish" or "custom" paint lines, like a House of Kolor line, or PPG. Those are my favorite brands for custom paint. They are cheaper, because they are mass produced colors. But they are not low quality paint by any means. You can get a quart of House of Kolor black, for about $35. If you go in there and say, "Man, I really like the black on the 2012 Ford Truck!" I can tell you that it's a custom blend, the factory colors are only offered in codes that are able to be formulated in certain higher end brands, and it's going to cost you way more. Here is a perfect example. I'm finishing up on a 1972 Jeep Jeepster Commando for a customer right now. He wanted a charcoal color, Cyber Gray from GM, a formula from Deltron, that ran $224 a pint. I recommended House of Kolor's Galaxy Gray. A very similar and sweet color. $54.90 a quart. In the end, he stayed with the other and when it was all said and done, his materials cost him almost $2000 alone. That's his choice and I don't care, but I was just trying to give him a cheaper alternative.

One last thing on savings... If you are open to paint color, visit your local jobber. (paint supply shop) They ALWAYS have a shelf of paint that was ordered, and then not purchased. Maybe they decided they didn't like the color after they saw it in person.... But since it has been mixed, it only has X amount of shelf life, so they have it heavily discounted to move it. You might find a color you really like for less than half the price if you were to order it. Down side is you may never find the exact color you had your mind set on originally.

Anyway, I kind of rambled on, hope it helps. Good luck and holler if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for taking the time to educate me and others. I will be taking it around town to receive estimates and will keep the thread updated as soon as I can get the sammy to Texas. I will ask about the stuff you mentioned and hopefully they are using such products and not cheep stuff.

·
Registered
686 Posts
X2 never go to MAACO, never... ever.. ever.

The vast majority of labor in a paint job is all the prep work, even on a totally smooth rust free body there is likely many hours of prep. When I did my FS bronco I collaborated with the painter and prepped according to his standards and had him spray, it was fairly easy on the wallet and results were great. Prepwork sucks, its monotonous and I have the attention span of an eggplant so I would probably not do it again.

As mentioned it would be worthwhile to find that guy that can do a nice job with a home booth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts