Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006.
My check engine light turns on and off intermittently for the last 2 years. Basically, I have ignored it thinking its just some faulty wire because why would it turn on and off like that? It is annoying because I can't use cruise control when a cop is behind me. The code readout is 'P6231' and supposedly that means 'Pumping Sensor' . I looked all over this forum and spent some time digging on the web but I can't find out what that really means. If I don't have to take my car into the dealer or a mechanic that would be great! Is there something I can order online or check on the vehicle to get that situation solved? Any advice you can give would be really helpful. I am not a mechanic but I am very technical and have no fear of digging into the guts of the machine to get to the root of an issue.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I was trying to figure out what engine you have and what country you live in (since you didn't tell us) but since you mentioned the cop I'm guessing you must be in the US!

It doesn't help that P6231 doesn't show up in the manual, nor anywhere else for that matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Must be the wrong code they gave me :(

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I am guessing they gave me the wrong code in that case. The description they gave me when they ran the diagnostic was " Pumping Sensor " - P6231

I guess I will have to order one of those online testing devices myself or take it into a quick and easy auto parts store to diagnose the 'ACTUAL' code. I never know what to believe when people mess with my car, it always usually ends up in me being frustrated.

And yes, I am in America. COP CENTRAL.

Thanks , I guess I will have to get back to you with more reliable information. :(

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Be aware that normally only a Suzuki dealer can read the proprietary codes, otherwise you just get the standard OBD-II codes. I've attached a list for the V6 (which again I'll assume you have) in case anything jogs your memory. A Bluetooth OBD-II dongle is cheap and will give you standard codes on your Android smartphone, plus the opportunity to delete them and switch off the CEL.

Cops here do revenue gathering using automated speed cameras in unmarked but easily-spotted vans. They are never intimidating and even in the rare times I see a cop car you would have to something completely crazy to get stopped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that guide. I do have the V6 . I looked at it and I wouldn't be surprised if they just wrote the number down wrong , the code was most likely P2631 - O2 Sensor Pumping CurrentTrim Circuit High (Bank 2 Sensor 1) // Output voltage of A/F sensor adjusting resister is more than 5 V for more than 4 sec continuously with engine running.
Assuming this is the code and it probably is...should I take this to a mechanic or can I just change a fuse or something?

I will check out getting one of those OBD-II bluetooth dongles. Those sound useful to have.

I got pulled over by a cop here that was riding one lane over to my left and behind me while I was passing another cop car that was on the side of the road. He gave me a ticket because I didn't get over one lane ( the lane he was in ) Basically, I would have had to cut him off with my vehicle in order to avoid that ticket...Real nice huh?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
So the manual (page attached) says to check the wiring first then replace the sensor. I would expect that an intermittent break in the WHT>BRN wire might cause that fault. If you have 100k miles or more I would be inclined to replace both sensors anyway (that is, the first sensor on each of the two banks.) I'll leave that for others who have had that experience to help you, or you can do your own research.

Report back with your experience too, it's always useful information!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the information and taking the time to answer my questions and provide me with resourceful information I appreciate that!

I will let you know how things went.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts