Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2006 grand vitara. Recently, it started exhausting what smells to be like gas fumes. For context, the check engine light originally came on, and I plugged my OBDII reader in. It gave the code of P0456 (which is a evaporative emission system leak detected (very small leak)), and to attempt a fix at it, I replaced the gas cap, and it seemed to go away (this was verified by the dealership that I took it to for service). Fast forward a little while later, and the smell came back again, and it seems to be coming through my HVAC system, and outside as well. Seems like there is an exhaust leak somewhere, and Im not sure where. What should I do? The car has some exhaust problems in the past with its EVAP cartridge that caused it to not start (this happened about 7 years ago). Looks like the leak is getting larger, and not sure where it is in the exhaust system. What should I do?

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Evap is not in the exhaust system. Its in the fuel system. You need to specify what engine you have. I would start by smoke testing the system and looking for a hole in a hose somewhere.

Reactions: Bwr426

·
Registered
820 Posts
In Canada a 2006 is only the 2.7L V6.

You mention "gas fumes" and then "exhaust leak". Does it smell like raw gasoline or exhaust?

I had a gas leak in the engine compartment a long time ago with a strong smell of gasoline outside and then inside the car. Finally discovered a loose banjo fitting on the injector rail. The tech replaced the teflon coated washer on the banjo fitting. I think this was a specialized Suzuki part, which will no longer be available in Canada.

Have a look at this post:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In Canada a 2006 is only the 2.7L V6.

You mention "gas fumes" and then "exhaust leak". Does it smell like raw gasoline or exhaust?

I had a gas leak in the engine compartment a long time ago with a strong smell of gasoline outside and then inside the car. Finally discovered a loose banjo fitting on the injector rail. The tech replaced the teflon coated washer on the banjo fitting. I think this was a specialized Suzuki part, which will no longer be available in Canada.

Have a look at this post:

What would the difference in smell be? I smell something coming through the HVAC, and the tailpipe (mostly from the tailpipe though).

·
Registered
820 Posts
What would the difference in smell be? I smell something coming through the HVAC, and the tailpipe (mostly from the tailpipe though).
Gasoline has a strong, aromatic, almost sweet smell. Exhaust from an engine at operating temperature with a functioning catylitic convertor has very little smell. If you can smell gasoline in the exhaust either the engine hasn't completely warmed up or the fuel mixture strength is too rich.

If you have a raw, liquid gasoline leak in the engine compartment or outside under the vehicle the smell would probably be quite strong. A gasoline vapour leak from the EVAP system would be more subtle and variable. As you have an EVAP error code, I would guess that is where the leak is.

As 2013GV rightly mentioned, you will need to try to find the leak, most likely a hose or connection, using a smoke test.

As an aside, the 3G GV came with 3 engines in Canada, depending on model year. The 2.7L V6, a 3.2L V6 (sourced from GM) and a 2.4L I4.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.