Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a p0442 code on my 2002 Chevy tracker. I have cleared it and tried replacing the gas cap with no avail. Does anyone have a area to start looking for this leak and what I should look for. Have reset this four or five times and it always comes back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ran in to this same problem after I dropped my fuel tank to replace the tank pressure sensor and repair some broken wires. Unfortunately, you will likely have to drop your gas tank as well, which is no fun. I kept getting the "small evap leak" code. I ended up just dropping the tank again and replacing both evap lines that run from the top of the gas tank to the metal lines by the rear axle. On top of the gas tank, there is a metal line that runs along the top from the evap vent on the tank to the rubber hose on the passenger side of the tank. This metal line likes to rust and cause small leaks in the system.

There's no way to really be sure where exactly your leak is, so I just replaced all the lines with fresh rubber hose! I've been through a tank and a half of gas now and the problem seems to be gone. There is another option...bring the car to a mechanic who has an EVAP system smoke machine...they pressurize the system with smoke and can find the leak based on where the smoke is leaking from the system. This costs money tho and I didn't want to spend any extra ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for tip was lost on where to start. will try that and hope it fixes it. I have to take for the emission test and will not pass with light on, Thanks again,
Ahhh i see you're one of the unlucky ohio residents who lives in a county that requires vehicle testing....I live just over the border in PA, like 30 minutes from the Ohio line...and the county there doesnt require anything. East palestine/youngstown area...emissions are a freaking pain I hate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.