Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to locate the 4 oxygen sensors in my 04 Verona. The check engine light it on and I'm told I need to replace them in order to pass the emission test. I can't afford the OEM parts and thinking about do the job myself, replacing them with universal OS. Where are they located in the car ? (two before the catalytic converter and two after):confused:

·
Super Moderator
17,606 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered them already

Thanks for the link to those other post, very enlightening. I had the codes scanned at Auto Zone and they said I needed all four (probably lied to me). But I decided to order all four away online. I just need to know where they physically are located on the vehical. I intend on replacing them myself if no special tools are required. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
17,606 Posts
Get a 2nd opinion! All four toast?!? Don't think so. :(

Did the light come on recently ONLY, or have you been living w/the prob? I'd ask the code reader to CLEAR the codes as well. Something fishy appears to be going on. Computer maybe?

Have you jump started the car recently? Washed the engine bay? Had OTHER work done? Replaced the battery?

What engine do you have? I'm a GV guy, but someone here can help on the sensor location. Mine were a PITA to get to FWIW.

Max

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been living with this problem for a several months. Intermitent at first, but solid for some time now. Yes, I did jump a car a while back but the light was already on. The engine is a 2.5L. I have not had any major work done on the motor. Yes I did buy a new battery 6-8 mos ago, I don't think the engine light was on at the time but can't be sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Still looking for help with the OS location

Now that I have ordered them I'm going to replace them all. But I still need a reference to where they are? Someone please help. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
17,606 Posts
Pics! 2.5L and 2.7L V-6 configuration

Rear view of engine showing the UPPER two sensors. Now, directly below and after the cat converter (but not pictured) are the 2nd set of sensors. Bank 1 & 2 number 2 sensors.

These next pics are of the wire lead CLIPS that you have to disengage from the wiring harness. The area is REAL tight to get to. I used a super small screw driver to break the bond. I went in from below the car to access it. On the clip pic...don't worry about those little SIDE retaining clips. They hold the end of the plug TOGETHER, but not to the mating harness plug half.

The must have tools...22mm sensor socket and flex head wrench. ;)

Disengaging the CLIPS was the hardest part. Hope this helps.

Max

·
Super Moderator
17,606 Posts
I still contend that not ALL of your sensors are faulty, BUT...Zuki recommends sensor replacement at 100,000 miles in support of your changing them out.

I'm still enjoying terrific engine performance and 25/26 MPG jaunts!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I thought we were talking about a Verona?
The previous pics are excellent but for the GV/XL V6 engine not the straight inline 6 used on the Verona.

But to clarify the positions. Bank 1 is sensors are BEFORE the catalytic converter. Bank 2 is after the converters. So, Bank1 Sensor 1 is top sensor closest to the drive belts. B1S2 is closest to belts but downstream after the converter. Bank2 is of course the driver side sensors.

Again, this may be covered under warranty!

·
Super Moderator
17,606 Posts
The previous pics are excellent but for the GV/XL V6 engine not the straight inline 6 used on the Verona.
Hmmm....Don. Have I confused the issue? Techfella said that he's running a 2.5! Is that not the V-6 H25 engine? Again, I'm a GV guy. :eek:

Edit: It appears that the in-line is a 2.5 as well! :confused:
Suzuki Auto

·
Registered
17 Posts
Update

While waiting for the new sensors to arrive I went and got that second opinion. You were right, only one is testing bad. Sensor 1, bank 1. Also getting a error code P1443 EVAPORATIVE EMMISION SYSTEM CONTOL VALVE. I would think these these are somehow related problems. Any chance these things are covered under that fabulous warrantee they advertize? The car has 65K, bought in Aug. 04 :(

PS: I bought the tools recommended.

·
Super Moderator
17,606 Posts
Isn't your warranty period 36,000 miles or 3 years? If so, and you are not covered by an optional extended warranty, you're SOL unless there is an (unlikely) recall that covers repairs. :(

My guess is that the two code probs/components are not related. But that is an educated (gut) feel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello

I have just joined the forum and as techfella said, this is great info.
I have a 2004 Epica with 61000 km and the check engine light just came on. Would it be a safe bet to change the oxygen sensors without getting a computer reading or are there a bunch of other things that can be wrong? Also, I would be interested in hearing back from techfella as to the progress and difficulty of changing the sensors. I am fairly good with car repairs once I know what is wrong.

I would like to add that since I bought this car in Sept 04, it has been one repair after another and now that the bumper to bumber is over, I don't want to pay too much for repairs.
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Max is right about getting the code scan. After I had mine done, I found one other thing that with need fixing beyond the O2 sensors. The sensors haven't arrived yet so I can't give you any update on the progress. When I do jump on it I will let you know. I like my Verona, but from everything I've read the car has a bad rep on the reliability side. Parts are not that easy to find (aftermarket expecially) and the repair cost is about average. My plan is to get it back to a reasonable trade in value and sell it. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
17,606 Posts
Check RockAuto's prices...
2004 SUZUKI VERONA Oxygen Sensor

You probably laid out some heavy $'s on all the sensors Tech. You COULD not take receipt of the soon to be delivered sensors you're waiting on (sending them back), or if possible, simply return the ones you don't need. ;) Don't know what your suppliers return policy is. Just a thought.

Not sure of your location, but RockAuto out of NJ ships same day. :)

And Frenz...you can pick up a OBD2 scanner off e-bay for $30.00 plus shipping as I did IF you think that you could use it on future scanning needs as well.

Example... eBay Motors: Enhanced OBD II OBD2 Code Reader Scanner Engine Check (item 190080216997 end time Feb-12-07 07:30:00 PST)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rock Auto is where I ordered from, paid in the $60-70 range. It did cross my mind to replace only the bank 1 sensor found on the scan and send the others back. I just figured if one is bad the others might not be far behind. Is that not good logic?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good thing I scanned my car. Nothing to do with the oxygen sensors. I got code P0700 (Transmission module) P0442 (small leak) and P1673 (hot engine light). GM changed my fuel guage sensor about a month ago. Is it possible that they caused the P0442 error? My gas cap seems to be fine. From what I have read, the other 2 codes are not anything to be concerned about.

I would appreciate a response from anyone.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sensor madness

I don't know what to say about your code issues. I wouldn't neglect any trouble code the computer spits out. Seems like the domino effect happens if you let one go, something else pops up. Example, I went to the dealer today just to confirm what Autozone found regarding the oxygen sensor. Now I'm getting two other errors, P1443 evaporator emmission value and one for the wheel speed sensor. :eek: What ever that is, the part cost $200+ they say it's a computerized sensor.

Anyway, I just got the O2 sensors today and will let you know how the installation go's.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts