Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, After shopping for every ( and I mean every) small car I ended up looking at the Forenza last. When I first looked at the car, saw the price, test drove it and reinspected it I then went home and told my wife "I can't belive it , but I think I am going to buy a Suzuki" It took me two months to decide ( nervous about reliability) but my wife and I are very happy about our choice.

I chose the "S" model. I really like the under the seat sliding tray that comes in the "LX & EX" models. I bought the tray itself for 6 dollars from the dealer. but obviously this tray install needs additional parts. New seat handle etc. Can any body help me? Is this an upgrade I can do my self? Or is this something that was so signifcantly differant between models that it isnt worth it? Also does anybody know if I can install the Suzuki Keyless entry upgrade myself? Would it be better to buy an aftermarket package? Any info would be very appreicated!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by owner@Oct 17 2004, 10:37 PM
Hello everyone, After shopping for every ( and I mean every) small car I ended up looking at the Forenza last. When I first looked at the car, saw the price, test drove it and reinspected it I then went home and told my wife "I can't belive it , but I think I am going to buy a Suzuki" It took me two months to decide ( nervous about reliability) but my wife and I are very happy about our choice.

I chose the "S" model. I really like the under the seat sliding tray that comes in the "LX & EX" models. I bought the tray itself for 6 dollars from the dealer. but obviously this tray install needs additional parts. New seat handle etc. Can any body help me? Is this an upgrade I can do my self? Or is this something that was so signifcantly differant between models that it isnt worth it? Also does anybody know if I can install the Suzuki Keyless entry upgrade myself? Would it be better to buy an aftermarket package? Any info would be very appreicated!
First of all congratulations on your purchase! I have an EX and I know what tray you are talking about. I will take a look at it this evening and tell you what I see down there. I don't think it should be too difficult. I imagine there are two slide brackets and a stopping clasp. You probably just need to order that as well. Just to make sure I will look...if I can I will take some photos for you. As far as the keyless entry goes it should not be that difficult to do with an aftermarket system. I recommend a prestige gen-II very easy wiring. I will provide more info later...I gotta run. When I get back home I will tell you what I have found.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Tim04@Oct 18 2004, 03:14 PM
First of all congratulations on your purchase! I have an EX and I know what tray you are talking about. I will take a look at it this evening and tell you what I see down there. I don't think it should be too difficult. I imagine there are two slide brackets and a stopping clasp. You probably just need to order that as well. Just to make sure I will look...if I can I will take some photos for you. As far as the keyless entry goes it should not be that difficult to do with an aftermarket system. I recommend a prestige gen-II very easy wiring. I will provide more info later...I gotta run. When I get back home I will tell you what I have found.

THANKS a ton Tim I really appreicate your help. I am looking forward to seeing what you find out! By the way do you think it's possible to add this seat tray to the driver's side as well or am I pushing it? thanks again

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by owner@Oct 18 2004, 05:12 PM
THANKS a ton  Tim I really appreicate your help. I am looking forward to seeing what you find out! By the way do you think it's possible to add this seat tray to the driver's side as well or am I pushing it? thanks again
Hi Owner,

Sorry for the delay..I actually took a look at it tonight. Here is what I found. It is held in place really well by four bracket like harnesses. Each harness has a metal pipe coming out of it. I could only feel two of them but I'm sure there are four. The are attached to the tray on the sides of it. They enter a built in (to the tray) rail like system and glide along it. If you take a look at the tray you will probably see what I mean. In the "open" position the ends of the metal brackets fall into a groove which "locks" them in place. Basically you could drive with this drawer open and it would not slide back under the seat. The brackets look as though they are attached to the sub frame of the bottom cushion of the seat. It looks simple enough to install but removing the seat would be required. If you plan on doing it I recommend going to the dealer and having a look at it first. I will look again in daylight to let you know if these brackets are bolted in place or welded. Hopefully they are just bolted! I will also look to see what size socket you will need (might be an allen wrench). Sorry I could not help faster and more precisely.

Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Tim04@Oct 20 2004, 09:02 PM
Hi Owner,

Sorry for the delay..I actually took a look at it tonight. Here is what I found. It is held in place really well by four bracket like harnesses. Each harness has a metal pipe coming out of it. I could only feel two of them but I'm sure there are four. The are attached to the tray on the sides of it. They enter a built in (to the tray) rail like system and glide along it. If you take a look at the tray you will probably see what I mean. In the "open" position the ends of the metal brackets fall into a groove which "locks" them in place. Basically you could drive with this drawer open and it would not slide back under the seat. The brackets look as though they are attached to the sub frame of the bottom cushion of the seat. It looks simple enough to install but removing the seat would be required. If you plan on doing it I recommend going to the dealer and having a look at it first. I will look again in daylight to let you know if these brackets are bolted in place or welded. Hopefully they are just bolted! I will also look to see what size socket you will need (might be an allen wrench). Sorry I could not help faster and more precisely.

Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Tim04@Oct 20 2004, 09:02 PM
Hi Owner,

Tim
I can't thank you enough Tim for looking at this seat base especially since I am in California right now and the Forenza with my wife is in Virginia, so I am unable at the moment to inspect it myself. I think I will go to the nearest dealer and bring a flashlight, hope they don't mind.

I actually contacted Suzuki of America nearby in Brea CA, but the guy's response was irrelevant and vague saying that the Forenza models were different and I wouldn't find what I was looking for??? His response was also addressed to my question about a keyless entry system.

I did a lot of internet research about keyless entry systems. It seems as you said that the Prestige and Viper brands continually came up as two good choices. I only want a keyless entry that opens the doors and trunk, I don't wish to have a security alarm buzzing lights, horn, remote start etc.

Circuity City and Best Buy also came up as well known installers but many on the web are critical of their install quality. I went in to Best Buy today and spoke to an employee who said that because my car was so new they might not be able to install a keyless system since they wouldnt have the proper wiring harness. I thought that was a good sign at least, that they would only install with a dedicated wiring harness.

I m trying to get a knowledable Parts person at the dealer to help. The last one was busy and just blew me off. I was hoping to maybe buy the OEM module plug it in and go with no wiring involved, though I very much doubt it would be that easy and install that cleanly without wiring . I am going to look into it more. Thanks Again Tim JS

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Owner,

Check this out...

Maybe it will provide a little bit more than I offered before.

As you can see there is a latch and rail system on the tray. Now you and I both can see what allows it to lock in place. :D

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Originally posted by Tim04@Oct 25 2004, 06:31 PM
Hey Owner,

Check this out...

Maybe it will provide a little bit more than I offered before.

As you can see there is a latch and rail system on the tray. Now you and I both can see what allows it to lock in place. :D
Damnit, i hadnt seen that, now i want one. . . eh maybe one day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts