Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals,

So ive go a 88 samurai that always seems to want to start heating up to the point of over heating. It only seems to happen when im out in the wild, which leads me to believe its not getting enough air. Before i just start replacing parts sensuously, i wanted to see if anyone else has had the same issue or if there is a small fix for this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fan engages perfectly. Just seems like when I'm not driving around town the engine wants to heat up. Probably when I'm not driving above 10 miles per hour.

·
Registered
686 Posts
+1 fan clutch. Look for any signs of leakage around the clutch hub and make sure that it doesn't feel loose. A bad fan clutch can shake the water pump to death and vice versa. They can look like they are spinning just fine but be inadequate to keep it cool on a warm day without driving fast enough for the wind to do what the fan cant.

Is there a fan shroud in place? Thermostat in place and operating correctly?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Another possibility that comes to mind would be radiator, maybe when it starts to run a little warm, shut it down then run your hand along the radiator and look for any strange cool spots.

Does it boil coolant out when it gets warm or do you ever have to ad any coolant?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Radiator might be your problem, with time water lines inside radiator get clogged, reducing it's cooling capacity. An internal cleaning might be necessary

Been myself few weeks ago when I purchase a 1993 swift glx auto 1300 ,
to find that rad was over heating not long after start up and loosing coolant,
before fans kick in and return system to low heat,
I replace thermostat flushed engine and replace radiator and coolant ,
replace temp sensor redid engine timing and ignition timing ,
new plug and leads ,
to no avail
still boiled and lost coolant until fans started after that engine tem seem to remain fairly stable unless left in tick over to long that would starting boiling be fore fan cut in ,
Look to water pump,
See no leaks or stains bearing ok seems nothing wrong with it
but as last in line thinking it might be blocked there was a lot of scale and black goo in first coolant flush, why I replace radiator as you cant get this crap out by flushing
I remove WATER PUMP and found the pump rotor vanes corroded off and all the was left was lumpy nub that had been pump rotor vanes,
So please check water pump,
I have work on my own cars most of my life [56yrs ] first time I ever found this , seems that Suzuki use soft aluminium water pump rotors in some of their engines and lack of/ or old dilated antifreeze made them corrode very fast ,
and BLOCK radiator cores as well you may find radiator has been replace but not water pump ,
so the movement of coolant is down to convection and is not pumping.:¬}

·
Registered
1 Posts
overheating

If you're not loosing coolant are you actually overheating? The gauge works by resistance change. If you have a poor or missing ground from distributor to frame your gauge will read high. It took me a long time in Mexico going through and replacing fan clutch, rad cap, thermostat and it was a non existent ground strap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts