Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I picked up my first Zuk, biggest problem thus far is overheating.

Radiator looks good, thermostat looks good (got a new one ordered just in case) ordered up a water pump.

However my fan spins freely, is my clutch bad?

I'm wanting to maximize HP, and MPG's, while still being able to do some trail work. Whats the best option? replace the fan clutch? Go electric fan (thermostat or switch operated?), or perm my fan to the pully and have constant pull? Combo?

Help?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have recently researched this to see of the Samurai is any different than any other vehicle I placed an elec fan on. It is not. I'm getting ready to do this same conversion and have done a lot of searching.

My searching turned up that a Subaru Legacy fan is nearly a direct fit and has a 2 speed setup for later years but exact years I was not able to find. 2 speeds is preferable for me because I have AC. I have found several pics of the Hayden and other 12" aftermarket brands installed in the Samurai and it appears to be an excellent fit. Watch out for the crappy Ebay a models, your cooling fan is no place to try and save a couple bucks (ask me how I know:()

YMMV. NEVER use a toggle switch, bad idea. Your one brain fart away from an overheat and engine damage (ask me how I know :() I will use a toggle that will simply be an override to kick the fan on before the temp switch kicks them on should I feel the need. Its an easy setup and many aftermarket fans come with them. I have had success putting them inline with rad hose and between the fins of the radiator.

Drawbacks to the electric fan. None that I have experienced if installed properly. This is not to imply that installing the fan will cure your overheating but if it is related to a defective fan clutch it just might.

Tony

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this might be a dumb question, but forgive the n00b here.

I used to have a direct drive fan on an old 302 mustang, if it doesn't hurt to have a fan on anytime the rig is running, couldn't an electric fan be used on an always on position as well?

·
Registered
686 Posts
You might get sick of hearing it, it would be a continuous draw on elec system, fan life would be shortened. I cant think of any other ill effect but setting up a thermostatic switch is both easy and cost effective.

Fan Switches, Thermal - SummitRacing.com

You could even just buy a universal switch and a relay and wire it up yourself. Thats what I have done in the past.

Good luck

Tony

·
Registered
80 Posts
skip the water pump unless you going to do the timing belt too. wich in that case you should since your going to open it. the problem is the fan clutch for sure 100 percent. open it up put rtv silicone sealent re install and waa problem fixed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
skip the water pump unless you going to do the timing belt too. wich in that case you should since your going to open it. the problem is the fan clutch for sure 100 percent. open it up put rtv silicone sealent re install and waa problem fixed.
Thanks. Gonna try that this afternoon. Would this bypass the clutch and turn it into a "always on, direct drive" sort of deal?

Any more info on sealing up the fan clutch?

·
Registered
80 Posts
no. what it does is less slippage like it suppose to too much slipp and it wont turn enuff to kool engine. i did it on my 87 sammy a few months ago did my cuz toyota 4 runner years ago and a 78 corona i had years ago and a corolla too all run and ran fine to this day.when u open it you will see some in there kinda clear and yellow but they dry up with time its normal and thats were the problem comes.get the samllest and cheapest rtv silicone bcuz you will use a a small amountnot the whole amount.

·
Registered
80 Posts
mustang is completely diffrent from this. they can handle a load the sammy already have a problem with low output alternators. so it wont work unless u upgrade the alt....annd buy a switch for it to turn off.and mustangs should not have it on constant either it over cools the engine and thats not good either.the fox chasis 5.0 came cltuch fann also but they cant be ope to repack.but then again its a marican car and the clutch is cheap.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks. Gonna try that this afternoon. Would this bypass the clutch and turn it into a "always on, direct drive" sort of deal?
Yes, and it will be a cheap fix if you plan on keeping the engine RPMs below 2k and the vehicle speed less than 20mph. Otherwise it will rob HP, kill fuel economy, and put extra stress on the water pump body and belt.

Either replace the viscous coupling with a good one, or remove the fan and install an electric one with a thermostatic control.

If you go the electric fan route, be careful in selecting a fan if you still have the stock alternator installed. The stock alternator may put out 45 amps, but if you install a fan that takes 20 amps of more to run, you may overload your electrical system at times. As an example, the 2-speed Taurus fans some use uses 15 amps at low speed and 30 amps on high.

Here is my web album on my Samurai electric fan install.
Samurai Cooling - Picasa Web Albums

1 - 9 of 9 Posts