Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
USA 2012 Grand Vitara AT 4WD 2.4L I4 F DOHC 16V
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daughter's GV dumped all coolant today and promptly overheated and quit running. Waited for it to cool, refilled, and it does turn over but not start. It is spraying coolant from the top rear center of the engine. I suspect a catastrophic valve cover or head gasket failure. Anything else in that area that would leak?

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Compression check first, then start diagnosis from there, im betting head gasket, or more likely a cracked head. If its got any Compression I'll be surprised Had one lose a bottom radiator tank and it got shut down immediately but even that was too late.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found the source of the leak. Busted hose on the back side of the engine. Dead center at the top. She tried real hard to fire but just won't. Sounds like lack of compression.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Compression check first, then start diagnosis from there, im betting head gasket, or more likely a cracked head. If its got any Compression I'll be surprised Had one lose a bottom radiator tank and it got shut down immediately but even that was too late.
Are you familiar with a particular compression test kit that works well with this engine? I'm familiar with the spark plug location and concerned that a standard kit may not work with this design.

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
My compression tester has about an 8" flexible hose that screws into the spark plug hole. Most should work if they reach the plug hole

Remember gas pedal flat to the floor, that cuts fuel, and pull the ign fuse in the main box under the hood to stop coil drives.

·
Administrator
18,077 Posts
Font Parallel Number Screenshot Data transfer cable

Something like this should work - $20 on Amazon - no, I haven't tried it, I have an Equus set that seems to have been discontinued.

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Mines like that but a different brand

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, picked up a kit today. Will probably test it tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
70, 35, 60, 75 on the compression. 1 and 4 were dry, 2 and 3 were full of coolant. Working on getting the head off next.

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
1 and 4 are still concerning, unless gaskets blown between the adjacent cylinders. Definitely check head for warpage, I bet its moved a fair way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 and 4 are still concerning, unless gaskets blown between the adjacent cylinders. Definitely check head for warpage, I bet its moved a fair way.
1 Looked like it may have been wet, the top of the piston was shiny. Was hard to tell on 4. Won't know until I get it apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts