Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stumped.Samurai is not running hot.No oil in radiator.No antifreeze in oil.No white smoke.But every couple of days or after several miles water comes out of the overflow bottle not much but it should not come out at all.compression is good .What the heck could it be? hate to pull the head. HELP!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
If nothing is showing up is there any chance your just over filling the system? When cold the over flow bottle should just have a small amount in it. As it heats up and the system expands it forces coolant into the bottle and as it cools off it draws it back into the radiator. The cap might also be a little weak or not sealing off right.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will check that. it is driving me nuts i have spent a ton of money on lots of other things.the guy i bought it from had rebuilt the engine about two months before i bought it i hate to think it has a bad head gasket.but thats the kind of luck i have sometimes.thanks for the info

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Could be an airlock, try running it with the rad cap off until the thermostat is fully open. The rad cap is at the top of the system so any air will come out easily, make sure the heater is fully on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks i will give it a try. Been driving it today it runs great it just has me stumped maybe i have been running it with too much antifreeze also.i riged up an extra bottle too see how much is coming out.hate to pull the head if i dont need to.

·
Registered
192 Posts
about the air in the system... I always squeeze the top hose to 'push' the air around to get it all out with cap off. not sure if it really works but I've never had any issues with any car I've had so I still do it. :)
that said, did you replace the thermo? how about he cap? both are cheap and should be replaced whenever there is ever any issues.
I've also seen temp gauges not read right. Make sure you are not really running hot. You could be running hot sometimes and not others. Sometimes if your carb is screwed you could be running rich or lean, making things hotter than they should be. Coolant should really be half/half.
Cooling isn't that hard. It's all about flow. Flow, flow, flow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
new t/stat ,new water pump ,new hoses,new rad.cap,also i check the temp with ir gun. it could be a flow problem.i had the whole system flushed and the radiator rodded out.i am just stumped.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not to sound simple, but the level in the overflow fluctuates with coolant temp. When the coolant is hot, any overfill will dissapate though the tube in the cap of the overflow reservior, but it will level out near the top and should remain at a high level. When it cools, the coolant will recede back into the system and there should be only a small amount in the reservior, maybe an inch or so. If there is not, then check the level at the radiator cap to see if it is low in the radiator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Carbon monoxide?

Try a carbon monoxide test on your radiator. You cold have a cracked head or a bad head gasket even though the compression is good. try the test cold & hot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts