Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my 92 tracker is idling it gets very hot. However once I start driving it cools down. My water pump is almost new. I've checked coolant in reservoir and radiator and both are where they should be. The fan spins when engine is running. I can't figure it out. Could it be the belt is worn out? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Check for fluid level, radiator clogged and fan clutch.....

...... Philip

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
+1 on the fan clutch. ;)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The key is "However once I start driving it cools down."

That means that the system is working as it should as it handles the increased heat that is a buy-product of moving the vehicle, but doesn't handle the "less" heat of idling. What is the difference? Air flow. You have a problem with your fan clutch. (Most likely.)

If you go out to your rig and try and try and rotate the fan (cold w/motor off). If it turns easily, it is bad. (Also If you can not turn the fan of a stone cold engine, the clutch is also bad. but wouldn't cause your overheating symptoms.)

To explain: The fluid inside the clutch needs centrifugal force to distribute and decouple the fan. But the fluid doesn't LOCK the clutch when cold, it should supply some resistance... until spun up. When the air around the clutch gets hot, a little heat sensitive spring on the clutch opens passages inside the clutch causing the fluid to move and couple (or lock up) the fan. If you fan turns easily on a motor that has been off for a while (like overnight) the clutch has most likely lost the fluid.

Note that a decoupled clutch will still make the fan turn, just at a much lower fan speed... not enough to move enough air for cooling. If you turn off a cold (or not hot) motor the fan should free wheel a little before stopping as the clutch should not be coupled. But If you turn off a HOT motor they shouldn't be much (if any) free-wheeling.,,, The clutch should be coupled.

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. Will test the fan clutch in the morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts