Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a noob to fixing cars so forgive my ignorance. i have a very basic knowledge but heres my problem with its history.

i have a 1985 sierra/samurai i was driving it one day when a hose blew sending the temp through the roof. after replacing the hose it still wouldnt stay cool. the timing was adjusted by a friend and that seemed to do the trick.
However after driving 300ks(in one trip) it started getting hot all over again. i checked all the hoses and none were leaking and water hadnt been lost. was recomended to replace thermostat which i did.
The temperature seemed to come down somewhat but still sits rather warm(about half way up the gauge) and after running for a while rises a little and on hot days get upto 2/3 of the gauge. if say the outside temperature drops a bit it will come back down to halfway never lower.

Has anybody got any suggestions of what i can do next?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Are you getting any steam in the exhaust? Any oil in the water or water in the oil?
The zook heads are extremely sensitive to overheating. You may have warped the head.\ and it's leaking.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It seems that you may have blown the head gasket, which is waht Bill is point i to by asking those questions. It could also be you are slowly losing coolant throhg a leaking hose, radiator, or cap you need to check all those things. Also check for oil in thr readiator coolant and or water in the engine oil which look milkly if water was in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no oil in the radiator, no steam in the exhaust and no leaking hoses, water levels are staying good. i think it may be the radiator itself now. will keep you posted thanks for your help so far.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the same problem and I replaced the rad and it cured it. The old rad was dinged up and plugged with crap both inside and out. It is worth replacing so you don't end up warping or cooking any thing else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
in my case i changed my rad, use rad coolant it fix it. And I changed the fan with electric fan and now became more perfect

·
Registered
193 Posts
Were you using coolant int the radiator? Any way empty old coolant and see how the tubes look, if the coolant was not changed as it should you could get rust build up in the radiator. And if it is really bad flushing would not help, you would need to change the radiator.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll add one more thing that fixed mine............the fan clutch after awhile, will start slipping causing less airflow thru the radiator. You can replace it or do what I did. Disassemble it and take the "stripped" fan and hub to an aliminum welder who will tack it in a few places to lock it up. Keep the weld small to eliminate balance problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts