Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki XL7 2.7L Auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious is anyone knows the dimensions of the outer CV boot?
I found some Quickboots from a company in Italy called HippoRed.

They seem to have really good reviews and I wanna try them but they have two sizes, an 80-89mm and a 90-110mm and I am not sure what the larger diameter of our CV shafts are.

(No one near me has or sells calipers to measure. Mind-blowing, eh?)

·
Administrator
18,064 Posts
Outer CV boots for what vehicle?

Generally speaking, the CVs are different based on engine size & transmission type - manual transmission vehicles have a stronger CV than the automatics - I have disassembled CV axles for a 2.0 manual that I could measure, and the 2.0 manual uses the same CV as the 2.5 auto, so if yours is one of those, then I'll be able to answer your question.

I took a look at those "Easy CV" boots - if you're planning on using them as "trail spares", carry on, if you're planning on using them as permanent replacements, forget it.

Reactions: A_Godly_Canuck

·
Registered
USA spec 2001 Grand Vitara 4D JLX, 2.5L Auto 4WD, ABS, 159k miles, MI rust bucket but strong runner
5 Posts
What vehicle are you putting it on? I have a new one here for my '01 Grand Vitara 4x4 2.5L I can measure for you if it will fit. Drivers or passenger?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a 2003 XL7 Auto with the 2.7L
My intent is to do as a quick repair kind of thing.
According to Rockauto the 2.5 and 2.7 appear to use the same CV Axles so that would help.

Theres doesnt seem to be a quickboot for these anymore so i figured id try a lil RnD

·
Administrator
18,064 Posts
According to Rockauto the 2.5 and 2.7 appear to use the same CV Axles so that would help.
Be very careful there ...

The 2.5 GV with manual transmission takes the same CV axles as the 01~03 2.7 XL-7, the 2.5 GV with an automatic transmission uses a smaller CV axle, the 04 onward 2.7 XL-7 uses a different axle.

Little details matter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Be very careful there ...

The 2.5 GV with manual transmission takes the same CV axles as the 01~03 2.7 XL-7, the 2.5 GV with an automatic transmission uses a smaller CV axle, the 04 onward 2.7 XL-7 uses a different axle.

Little details matter.
Says the 2.5 and 2.7 Auto both share the same New and Remanufactured CV Axles for 2003
Which would make sense since in 2004 they went to a different transmission with more gears, which i would imagine reduce load on the axles.

·
Administrator
18,064 Posts
The transmission change is market specific, some markets got a five speed automatic in 2004, some, I believe most stayed with the four speed - the reason the CV axles are different from 2004 onwards is they switched to a different front differential - prior to 2004 they used one with a pneumatic front free wheel mechanism, from 2004 onwards they used one with an electrically operated front freewheel.

Back to the CV axles, your source is RockAuto.com, my source is the Suzuki dealer's parts catalog - you get to decide which one to trust - I don't have an XL-7 so it doesn't matter to me.

·
Administrator
18,064 Posts
What dimensions are you looking for? The outer boot diameters? So that it is clear, the CV axles I have are from a manual transmission 2.0, which is the same part number as the automatic transmission 2.5.

·
Registered
12,454 Posts
For the 2.5 cv axle. The boots are either 80-89mm or 90-110mm so I need some idea in order to order.
Takes about 30 seconds to get under and measure, if you're really lazy and don't have vernier or a ruler, run bit of string around the cv joint at end of boot mark it when its meets itself, and measure length, divide by 3.14 to get diameter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Takes about 30 seconds to get under and measure, if you're really lazy and don't have vernier or a ruler, run bit of string around the cv joint at end of boot mark it when its meets itself, and measure length, divide by 3.14 to get diameter.
There we go, THAT I can do :D

·
Registered
12,454 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too simple huh? People forget the basics.
Yeeeaaaah my local school was well known for being insanely lackluster.
When your school is for profit every passing student means more money. Even if they're graduating highschool at a 4th grade math level.

But don't worry, I'll definitely remember these basics, as always.

·
Registered
12,454 Posts
I have to admit, some of the younger guys in the shop look at me funny when I grab the string instead of a ruler and head for the underside of a car

• Haha
Reactions: mmm5288

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to admit, some of the younger guys in the shop look at me funny when I grab the string instead of a ruler and head for the underside of a car
It's all those little things I need to learn.
I'm pretty rednequois as far as wrenching goes. So little things like that are a boon.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
12,721 Posts
Long time ago when I was teaching at a local college, the Director called me and offered a challenge.

He had a class of first yr students that were having issues with math, the first morning I assessed the class and then headed out to a bank to pick up rolls of pennies,, These student unfortunately did not even have an understanding of addition, multiplication or subtraction.. back to basics...Hmmm!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts