Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After getting it fixed up and mechanically sound, junior rolled it going down a steep dirt mountain road. Inexperience... He said he was in 1st gear in 4WD low but started to pick up a little bit of speed. So the hit the brakes and it locked up the rear tires. Before he knew it the rear swung out and it rolled once and landed on the 4 tires.

Not sure what to do with it now. Held up better than I expected for not having a roll bar. (That was scheduled to go in next.) However, the roof over the driver's seat is trashed. Debating if we should chop the top off and make it a convertible, bend the roof into a usable condition, or take off the wheels, winch and bumper off to sell it for scrap and start over. :mad: Whatever we do he won't drive it again until the fixes it and he puts a roll cage inside.

Ah, kids...

BTW - Engine mount(s) busted. Does it take very long to replace them?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The engine mount is the easy part (10 minutes wih a bottle jack under the oil pan).

The windshield is gonna be the hardest part. One thing to look into if you are going to keep it and use it for trail-only is a poly windshield. That way it will just pop out if this happens again. Many of the vendors have them.

Glad everyone is ok.
:eek:

·
Registered
149 Posts
that sucks !!!!

I would try to bend it back up and see what can be done to save the tintop... all else fails chop it off and make it a buggy.

I am debating an exo cage just for the purpose of not having to replace the body in the event of a flop or roll. Exo cages are not the easiest on the eyes but they serve two fold in that the protect the zuki and the people inside.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You are talking about junking it for that little road rash?
knock it out w/a bfh or cut and replace... (a 110 volt mig is prefect for body work)
Yea, I know it sucks... sh*t happens. you got your head still, right?
welcome to playing with big boy toys. ;)
but now he has some bragin rights, and experience. (not sure if it's good or bad)
chopin the top is harder than it sounds... keep it a TT

motor mount? maybe all of 15 minutes...

He turtled it...
now you see why turtles can pull their heads in their shells.

thanks,
george

·
Registered
201 Posts
good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. a 4x4 just doesnt look right without a few dints and scratches... i dont know how much work there is to fix that, but but if its just the roof, windshield and engine mounts that need fixing, and everything else is ok, id be willing to fix it. its a nice looking rig!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You guys are right. After looking it over there are a lot of dents on the various panels but we didn't buy it to win any photo competitions. I think we may be able to use a 4x4 and bottle jack to bend the roof and roof frame back into a position where the door seals again. I guess I was just frustrated at spending so much time getting the tranny and other mechanical things fixed to have it crashed so soon. Now we can use it and worry even less about it getting more road rash. :) The one thing that will be a must have is a roll cage. The structural integrity of the roof is now shot so if it rolled again it won't hold up well. But we had planned to put a roll cage in it before this happened so that is not a big deal. Looks like we are going to get some hands on practice at body work. Time to go online and fineda deal on engine mounts and a windshield to get started!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I look at things this way:
drive train gets me out of the trail and gets me home.
body is just for looks.

I would rather look like crap with the hood ripped off stuffed in the back with the tailgate bungy corded closed having to hold the doors closed to go down the road looking like an ex girlfriend beat it with a baseball bat, than looking like a brand new factory zuk broke on the trail.

Anyone that gets teary eyed about every little scratch needs to get a trailer queen. :)

(just don't forget about safety - get that rollcage)
thanks,
george

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Something else to look at. If he was in 4wd low and he hit the brakes... if the back locked up, it would not swing around on him. The front had to have locked up. This is a comon problem and it's all about the proportioning valve in the brake system. I've gotten myself skidding sideways into all kinds of crap from my fronts locking on me when I brake in 4wd. Replace that proportioning valve or be ready for a repeat preformance .

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone pulled out their dash? About how long does that take? Trying to get some idea how much time needed to get this thing running again. I think it will be easier to work on the roof and windshield frame with the dash and steering wheel out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry 'bout your sammy getting rolled. I recently pulled the dash on my 88. Its pretty straight forward. It can be done in less than an hour, although I didn't pull out the steering column, that may add some extra time.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
from what I understand, dropping the steering column is just 2 bolts and it will definitely make it easier to pull the dash out with the steering column dropped. I have a soft top so my windshield and frame are removeable... If you ever contemplate cutting it off you may be able to fab up a bracket to hold a soft top windshield.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hay it isn't so bad! Just bend it back out and replace the windshield. You have a really cool rig.

The engine mount is the easy part (10 minutes wih a bottle jack under the oil pan).

The windshield is gonna be the hardest part. One thing to look into if you are going to keep it and use it for trail-only is a poly windshield. That way it will just pop out if this happens again. Many of the vendors have them.

Glad everyone is ok.
:eek:
Why would the windshield be hard? And I'm very interested in this poly windshield. Where do they sell it? I never heard of it and never seen it.

that sucks !!!!

I would try to bend it back up and see what can be done to save the tintop... all else fails chop it off and make it a buggy.

I am debating an exo cage just for the purpose of not having to replace the body in the event of a flop or roll. Exo cages are not the easiest on the eyes but they serve two fold in that the protect the zuki and the people inside.
I was thinking of the exo cage as well, until the car started to look pretty, then I decided not to. I'm going to fit an internal one, hopefully some time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After a couple hours with a bottle jack and a hammer it is starting to look better! :) Tomorrow I am going to buy an air hammer at Harbor Freight. That should help a lot in finishing up the job. For $9.99 I don't think you can go too wrong. Here are some before and after pics of the rough pull.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Wow that's pretty impressive! You're fixing it by yourself in your own garage? So what are you going to do with the paint job?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup, fixing it with basic tools in my garage. Trying to keep the cost down. So far have spent $34 for 2 motor mounts, will buy an air hammer tomorrow for $10 and about another $25 for a couple body work tools. Picked up a new windshield for $60. I have not thought about the paint yet. Will primer all the bare metal areas to prevent rust for now. Fortunately the paint is close in color to the primer. Might get it on the road running again for under $200. Not bad for repairing a roll over!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yup, fixing it with basic tools in my garage. Trying to keep the cost down. So far have spent $34 for 2 motor mounts, will buy an air hammer tomorrow for $10 and about another $25 for a couple body work tools. Picked up a new windshield for $60. I have not thought about the paint yet. Will primer all the bare metal areas to prevent rust for now. Fortunately the paint is close in color to the primer. Might get it on the road running again for under $200. Not bad for repairing a roll over!
Not bad indeed!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You done good!
I was worried about where the top pf the windshield looked to have rolled back. I was worried about sealing it. Looks like you got it back in line.
That was a concern for me too. Before I started bending it back to shape I thought I would have to glue in the new windshield instead of putting it in with the rubber molding. However, the windshield frame is now almost flush. With a couple more minor bends I think I'll have the windshield frame and the lip in good shape.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts